Dyed Discus?

Dec 24, 2006
After looking at a breeder's website, I have noticed that there is a stark difference between the discus that they have marked as Blue Diamond, and the discus that I have seen in some local stores and online retailers that is sold under the same name. The former is more subdued in appearance, with a metallic sheen to it's scales and a faint powder-blue hue, while the latter is a stark deep-blue in color all over.

Are these local and online retailers selling dyed fish?

Mahamotorworks

Superstar Fish
Aug 26, 2006
Thule, Greenland
www.myspace.com
I really dont think that a disucs would survive dyeing. They are a really picky fish when it come to water conditions. The difference in the fish you are seeing are more then likely through blood lines and breeding close to wilds one. With the wild ones there is less inbreeding, thus giving you better colors. The same goes with any fish.

MAHA

Dec 24, 2006
It just worries me because Discus are on dyed fish lists and the fish at these retailers look impossbly blue. My wife loves discus and if my DIY aquarium works out, I'm gonna build one for her so she can get some. Look at the difference between the fish offered as Blue Diamond at Discus Fish Breeder: Gwynnbrook Farm Discus Fish Hatchery, and the ones at, SomethingsPhishy: Discus Plecos Fish Online Store Discus Rare Exotic Pleco Discus Wild Supplies Discus Pairs Special Order Fish Live Aquatic Plants Catfish Gift Certificates Discus and Plecos and you'll see what I'm talking about. Discus are listed at Death by Dyeing.org - Shades of death and blue is one of the colors that they use.

Please keep in mind that I AM NOT attacking retailers, I'm just trying to get all the info that I can before I spend upwards of $20/fish to stock a tank only to have them die a few months later from health problems that could have been avoided. If I stock a tank with 5 fish at $20... well, I'm sure you all can do the math and see where I'm coming from.

Last edited:
Dec 24, 2006
That's why I was wondering if anyone had experience with this particular fish. Perhaps there's someone on the forums that knows if these fish are truly that blue, are dyed fish, or if these photos have been doctored.

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
I have a blue diamond, and he/she's much closer in color to the one on somethingsfishy than the pale one on Gwynbrook. We got ours from another hobbyist, and I know she had it for some time, so I'm guessing it would have died already if it had been died.

Don't forget, somethingsfishy may have also altered the photo. I haven't tried photographing mine yet, but it could be that the irridescence causes problems in taking good pictures, too.

But yes, a blue diamond can be very blue.

Jul 9, 2003
Columbia, SC
www.youtube.com
As said already, discus are all different depending on the breeder. You will find discus fed color enhancing, or hormone rich foods. But never going through the actual dying process.

I've seen some very brilliant blue diamonds, and some that i would never buy. Just depends on the breeder.

Pure

Elite Fish
Nov 1, 2005
Jacksonville, FL
Lighting over the tank can also influence the color and richness of the fish, but yes it does happen that discus get dyed. The ones I've seen look horrible and the dying is extremely noticeable.