Dragon search

Apr 24, 2006
Nashville, Illinois
I look forward to my dragon fish, Ying Lung, growing to be easily the largest fish I've ever had, but I'm also worried that if he outgrows his current aquarium I will be unable to get him a larger one. I was lucky enough to get my 20 gallon tank from a newspaper ad for only $50. If he gets to big I have nothing else and can't afford anything bigger. Do any of you have advice about this?

I had, 2. Unfortunately I made the mistake of not starting out with healthy gobies.
They're sandsifters. They don't really eat large food items. They're much more fond of worms and insect larvae which can be found in the substrate. I fed mine well on bloodworm (live and frozen), white worms and grindals along with the live brine shrimp they would reluctantly take.
When the fish reaches 8 or 9" you really need to find a new home for it. They should be kept in tanks with a large footprint. 4'x2' absolute minimum. For one, since they require space to move around and a soft sand substrate for them to dig around in.
If you cannot provide a tank that large it should find new home. :(

Dragon, I PMed you . sorry it took so long to get back but I've been having fun in the sun at the lake this week.
My VG is about 9" long now, and he is in my 55 gal, he just wont come out and pose for a pic ;) . My advice is to start saving for a bigger tank if you plan on keeping him, but you do have some time mine grew fast at first like 1" in the first 6-8 months and has since slowed down a little, only an 1" in like the last year. But I would imagine that has a lot do with how much and how often you feed it.