Dojos?

caveman

Medium Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Mission Viejo, CA
Does anyone else have any dojo/weather loaches?  My first fish was one and I love them. I think they are getting a bad and undeserved reputation. In everything I read online they are not recomended for the beginner.  In my experience they are extremely hardy, not aggresive, and fun to watch.  The only critique of the species I accept is that they have a tendency to be jumpers, but so are tons of other fish.  Perhaps someone out there can enlighten me as to why these loaches are ignored and people flock to clowns, and kuhlis?
Caveman. Founder of the Dojo Loach Foundation.  

Oct 22, 2002
Silver Spring, MD
weather loaches are the ones that look like large gray khuli loaches right? i had one of those and it was a neat fish to keep, when i had the loach in my tank i had a breeder net in it with swordtails frys, anyways the loach was very active swimmin up and down the glass and would practically jump out of the water well oneday i was watchin it and i jumped right into the breeder net and just sitting in there well it didn't eat any of the frys and a neat fish to keep unfortunatly it was one of the fishes that died from a bad fungus outbreak... have seen them in some petshops but they don't look healthy at all i beileive theyre cold water fishes but did fine around 75F

caveman

Medium Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Mission Viejo, CA
Yeah, they are really versatile, I have kept them in both coldwater and tropical tanks. and a buddy of mine had a pond in his backyard with two dojos and two red ear slider turtles.  His were huge, like 13", mine are a paltry 6".
I still dont understand why they aren't more popular.

caveman

Medium Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Mission Viejo, CA
I could understand that complaint if they are in a planted tank, but I keep mine in a tank with few plants and a ugf, their digging in the gravel is fine with me.  And as far as being ugly, that all depends what you compare them to.  Are they prettier then a discus or angelfish or betta? ofcourse not.  But are they uglier then a pleco? I dont think so.  They are hardy, get along with my other fish, and are entertaining.  Ugliness aside, they are good fish.

theSaj

Medium Fish
Oct 22, 2002
As a fish goes they are by far one of the coolest and most beautiful natural/earth-tone fish.

However, many people want color..., I say... "If you want color go for a saltwater tank..."

Anyways, they are one of the gentlest fish. Still very skittish as are many of the long loaches.  But very interesting behaviors over all.

One of the few fish I give an A+ rating too...