do I need to use fertilizers?

Jul 6, 2004
Im planing on getting aquarium plants and I was woundering is it necessary to buy fertilizers from my petstore?

Avalon

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Ft. Worth, TX
www.davidressel.com
Welcome to the 'tank!

The necessity of fertilizers really depends on a few things. If you are just beginning with live plants and would like to try out a few, then I would say you could wait on fertilizers and rely on water changes instead. If you want to plant a lot of plants, then you will probably need to supplement them with a fertilizer.

There are many variables involved that make it difficult to give you a straight answer. Could you describe your plans a little further such as how many plants and what kind, the tank you will put them into, and the amount of light you will be using? This will help.

geKo

Large Fish
Jan 28, 2003
Louisville ky
For a planted tank with more than 3wpg and co2 addition it is smart to add ferts. This will keep your plants happy and also keep the algae to a minimum.

I currently dose the following:
Potassium
Nitrate
Phosphate
Trace
Iron

You probably wont need Phosphate if you have enough fish in your tank. If i were to only choose one fert to dose it would be iron since this is pretty much the main element that plants depend on. Again, its hard to tell if you need to worry about ferts without knowing your current setup.