DIY Python, How? Worth the effort? Cheap?

Punkrulz

Large Fish
Sep 5, 2007
Deptford, NJ
Hey guys,

I've definitely been looking into getting a Python. I want to have one before I start setting up my 29g. The python itself would come in great handiness because we would be using sand... instead of cleaning some sand in bucket over and over again, it'd be easy to just put the sand in the tank, and keep draining / filling to clean that way.

Now, so far the cheapest I can find is $27 for a 25' Python System... would it be worth the investment into a home made Python? Cheaper? Does anyone have directions and equipment on how to make one of these?

Disregard on the instructions, typing DIY Python in google reveals a lot of results. Has anyone here done it though?

Last edited:

AlyKat

Large Fish
Aug 3, 2007
New York
Now, so far the cheapest I can find is $27 for a 25' Python System... would it be worth the investment into a home made Python? Cheaper? Does anyone have directions and equipment on how to make one of these?
I just got my Python about a month ago after about 8 years of fishkeeping...and WOW!! What an investment!!! I looked into the whole DIY thing too, (as I work PT in Home Depot...thought I could get the stuff and advice cheap) and found it to be much more cost-effective to just buy the kit from Petsmart. Got it there for $39 and I thought THAT was a great price!! For $27, I say buy it!! LOL!

Whiskers

Large Fish
Feb 29, 2008
central Michigan USA
the one benifit of a diy python is you can get metal fittings instead of plastic that will eventually break. as far as cost i've never really priced it out but even if the price was the same you'd be farther ahead with a stronger and longer lasting python (really getting your money worth). the only example that i can give you from my experence is that i had the shut off valve thats inline near the vacuum end of the hose break and to replace it was like $7 to $8 so i went to the local hardware store and bought the valve and both fittings that connect the hose to the valve for around $5 to $6 and it was all made of metal. i don't think it will ever break there again hehehe.

Orion

Ultimate Fish
Feb 10, 2003
Kentucky
www.thefishcave.net
Well you don't have to DIY a python to replace the plastic fittings with metal or better grade material. The plastic ones lasted me for several years, and as they wore out I replaced them with better ones, so I didn't do it all at once.

bunker_1

Large Fish
Mar 24, 2008
Cincinnati
I was told from the begining to get a python. So I did. I have seen people using the bucket method, and I would have gladly paid double for the python considering the alternative.

FishGeek

Elite Fish
May 13, 2005
South Carolina
We bought the kit and to extend it cause we needed more length we bought tubing from HD and replaced it with the tubing that came with the kit. Worked really well for us. Ive had my python for a few years now and the only thing that has broke on it was when I had a litter of kittens and they chewed on it. :p Id say its worth buying the kit. :p

Pure

Elite Fish
Nov 1, 2005
Jacksonville, FL
My python is the 100ft one (tanks all over the house) so yeah it was a bit more ($75) but was well worth every penny. Even looking at DIY for one that long, it wasn't cost effective when you considered the hassle.

d3sc3n7

Superstar Fish
Nov 21, 2007
Ft. Campbell, Ky
www.d3sc3n7.com
I have the 25ft one..it needs to be a touch longer but it works. I've had mine for a while and the only break I've had was on the part that attaches to the sink...and that was 100% my fault not the python. So, even a few parts here and there are so very worth it.

When I had all 5 tanks up and running...that thing was a life saver!!! I'm down to two tanks right now, and well...I'm not the one taking care of them. Even with only 1 tank 29g or more its worth it I say. The time and work it saves is tremendous.

As far as a DIY, i'm not sure I would go that route...then again i'm a lazy bastard!