DIY lighting question

pignose

New Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Hey there,
Wondering if anyone has come up with a way to use standard ballasts from fluorescent fixtures for aquarium light hoods.
Sure can find a lot of these ballasts for 115v. , seem to have a problem getting a proper ground mounting them in the cabinet below the tank.
Thanks,
TA

dattack

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Sure it can be done.  I bought a few T8 ballast at an electrical lighting store and have successfully used these over my 60 gallon tank.  Some of these ballast are heavy and I actually mount them either on the hood itself in the back or mount it on the side of the hood on the outside.  I didn't have a glass cover at that time and didn't want them to fall in.
You can get aluminum sheeting at home depot and ground the ballast to that and use that as a reflective material also.

dattack

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
I think with the hood and all the lights I have under my canopy (like 180W) underneath a 60 gallon, my water does get a little too warm >80 F, especially here in California.  Like I said before, I am just paranoid that the ballast might fall in the water or something if I didn't screw it on tight enough to the wood.