DIY: Filter Cartridges - Filter Media

Nov 24, 2008
Hi, Im new here, (as u can see form my post count *LOL*)...

Anyways, I've had a 55G with an Oscar and a Pleco for quite some time now, I am using two double cartridge filters that, as advertised on the box, can filter well up to a 60G tank.

The thing is that I bought the tank set at my local Walmart, and apparently they changed the brands they sell over here now... I don't seem to find any filter cartridges that fit these filters...

I have done some pretty nasty improvisations... like... purchasing the biggest cartridges i can find, rip them of their mechanical and chemical filtration media, then use the plastic end of the old cartridges i got and do some sort of re-fill... using thread n needle to stitch it all back together... it is holding pretty well and its been like this for 2 weeks now...

But, I don't like these improvisations... LOL

Especially because I am not aware of the risks of doing it (if any). Maybe some carbon could slip out of the cartridges, and "poison" the fishes? Is that even "poisonous" (or better put, harmful) to them?

Thanks for any suggestions you guys/gals can come up with. I appreciate it.

brian1973

Superstar Fish
Jan 20, 2008
Corpus Christi, Texas
what brand filter are you using, I thought all those kits used whisper but I am not sure..I have noticed walmart carries another brand now as well, anyway many of the HOB filters use the same inserts regardless of filter brand. Next time you go to the store pop the box open and look at it. As for the DIY I cant help you there.

Oh welcome to the tank

Nov 24, 2008
Ok, i know its been a while since I checked my thread, (my bad). Thanks brian for your reply.

I went to the store and noticed that they started selling the usual brand again. Now the size is correct once more. Looks like I happened to run to the store on a day that they had run out of the stuff... or some other thing happened... who knows.

As for DIY, I have seen friends over here who use a paint bucket as a filter recipient, and they purchase filtering media, such as activated carbon, small porous ceramic, different types of mesh plastics, and they used air conditioner filter media, (that blue and thick sponge like air filter).

They apply the stuff in layers. Since the paint bucket came with a lid, they punched a hole on the lid and the bottom of the canister, providing in/out water ways.

They inserted pvc fittings on both ends on which they attached the hoses and they used a water pump for the induction on the filter. They then created a stand for it, using wood... omg it was a project... indeed... but they had like ten 20gal. fish tanks, so they ran them all on that one filter.

In the fishtanks they punched a small orifice on the bottom of the tanks near one of the corners around the back, and it was through there where they got water out of the tanks, clean water was then thrown in from above to create some motion on the water surface...

I kinda had an idea on how to make it myself, but I have a 55gal fish tank, and a 10gal for some guppies... so I don't need to use a paint bucket for filtering anything... if I did, it would only require cleaning like once every six months... and it would reek... but thats me rambling and guessing...