diy co2

Oct 22, 2002
Silver Spring, MD
i'm plannin on setting up a co2 system and was wondering should i have less co2 output b/c i have alot of fish in my tank? i got about 20-25 between 2-4 inches fishes in my tank and well recently i lost alot of my plants (mainly vals) b/c a large snail i had ate alot but it's slowly recovering anyways should i have less co2 produced with a high fish load? i'm gonna use the recipe from the previous posts

equinom

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
The Blue Planet
Since I am also in the same process, here is another question:  Some instructions suggest using a ceramic airstone, because the CO2 can damage stones made of other material.  True/False?  

From some of the things I have read, is tank typical CO2 levels less than 3, and levels above 20 - 25 toxic to fish?  It probably depends on the type of fish - hun?  But all the DIY instructions highly recommend testing for CO2, so proper adjustments can be made.

Oct 22, 2002
Silver Spring, MD
the tanks a 30 gal i've started on it useing a 1 liter bottle and half the recipe and i've noticed a bit of growth in my plants, i use the chart for measuring co2 levels with the kh and ph levels and it looks like it's round 9.5 is that to low? i have more algae growth and the waters a bit cloudy so it's either nutrients problem or not enough co2

Somonas

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
O-town
www.myfishtank.net
aznpanther98 you say you are getting more algae. not good. we want more plant growth, not more algae.  how is your nutrients (NO3, PO4, K, FE, traces)  and how is your PH/KH/GH.   time to get out the test kits  :D    If you fill your tank with co2 and the plants have no nutrients they ain't gonna grow.

+/- 9.5 of Co2 is fine - what recipe did you use for DIY ??   I have 2 bottles of diy on my 33 gallon....   it seems to work fine for me.   I try to monitor my nutrients twice a week and dose if required.

Cloudy water? green or white ?

equinom AFAIK airstones are fine , they just become clogged ?  I think clogging is more common than actual damage so "false".  I put mine into my canister directly. with no airstone

"true" It probably depends on the type of fish - ..  I'd think if your fish are gasping you probably have wayyyyy over 20ppm of co2 in there.     if they do gasp you can blow off some excess co2 at night.

Oct 22, 2002
Silver Spring, MD
i checked the levels the other day and it was at 6.8ph 2gh 0 nitrites 0 ammonia don't have a test kit for nitrates and other tests yet but i did put some ferts liquid fert tetrapride 0-0-3 and flourish tabs for th substrate in few days ago, the water looks a bit green this happened to my 10 gal when i first set it up but it's cleared up in that i cleaned the front glass few days ago and it doesn't seem to have any algae or very little in it maybe the otos and pleco in there is helping...

equinom

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
The Blue Planet
How long would it normally take for DIY CO2 to start producing?  It's been around 36 hours, and very little activity.
The only time I see bubbles is if I swirl the sugar/yeast mixture.

My set up:

Glass jar with yeast, sugar, water    an air tube through lid  (silicon sealed)  Tube extends into jar, not into mixture

Second glass jar, about filled 1/3 with water.  Air tube through lid  (silicon sealed) from jar with yeast (silicon sealed), tube  extends to bottom of jar - under water.  There is a second air tube coming from top of second jar - which is attached to a glass airstone which is in the fish tank.
A small plastic cover is positioned above the airstone, to hold the CO2 in the water a little longer.

The temp of the tank is around 76F, the house temp is about 72F.  I wrapped the glass jar in a towel today in an effort to keep it warm - Any suggestions?

R

ronrca

How quickly the yeast/sugar starting reacting is temperature dependant. When I had my diy C02 injection on my 90G, I had 2 4L bottles pumping out C02. Every week I would replace one bottle. The mixture started reacting within 12 hours because if you look at my tank, I can open the back. Thats where I put the bottles and it gets pretty warm in there ( I would say around 80-84F).

One thing I always did was mixtured the sugar in very hot water first in order to disolve it completely. I did this in a separate container and then poured it into the bottle. I then added the same amount of cold water to the bottle. The yeast I also mixed in a separate container but using warm water (If you use hot water, it will kill the yeast) until it was pretty much disolved. I then added it to the bottle and then filled the rest of bottle up with cold water. I put the cap back on the bottle and really shook the bottle. This worked the best of me and the C02 was bubbling in less than 12 hours.

The harmful level of C02 is 30ppm. Ideal range is 10-20. Tanks without any C02 injection have levels around 3-5ppm.
You can measure the C02 levels by using this chart:
http://www.thekrib.com/Plants/CO2/co2-dietsch.gif

Therefore if you have plants, C02 is a must.  *thumbsupsmiley*

Oct 22, 2002
Silver Spring, MD
my diy started off slow useing a 1 liter bottle half the recipe just to see how it works probally change it to a 2 liter next time but it's been about a week now and i can see bubbles being produced in the mixture my room temp fluctuates now it can get really warm in my room so the mixture does produce co2 more not sure how much is being produced but right now it's kinda cool weather so my rooms kinda cool but the weathers been out of whack in this area had tornados/warnings 3 days in a row in maryland area last weekend lol

equinom

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
The Blue Planet
OK - temp dependant.  Makes sense, just think about the directions for any yeast containing bread recipe.

I mixed another batch of sugar/yeast using ronca's instructions - nothing.  Currently have the CO2 "generator" bottle in a pot of water that has a heater.  Nothing.  

Nothing, nothing, nothing.   :(
It does smell a little like Guiness over by the tank...
no wonder the husband is suddenly so interested in the fish...

Because of the smell, I checked the seals where the tubing is siliconed to the lid - even touched up some areas that looked questionable.  Nothing.   :(

So I am currently waiting for more of nothing to happen, watching my plants just fade away...
Barnacles!

Matt Nace

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Pennsylvania
My DIY Co2 starts reacting within 10 minutes.

First, try a plastic bottle instead of a glass jar.

Make sure your yeast is active. It must be kept refrigerated after opening, and should be replaced after 6 monthes or so.

Always let the yeast come to room temp(it is alive), so you don't kill it. To test to see if it is active, let a bit sit at room temp for 10 minutes, then drop it into some warm water(not hot). If it starts to foam in a few minutes(or hours in ron's case  ;) ),then it is active.

You should NOT be able to smell it if your bottle is sealed(I have 5 bottles under my tanks, and I do not smell it til I change it)

azn, the amount of Co2 must also depend on how many plants you have to use it. If your tank is not very stocked, go buy some and stick two bottles on. Like somonas said, if you have nice light, Co2 is a nice addition, but ferts are needed as well.

AN algae crew is vital for algae control. A bristle nose or rubber pleco is the best for the glass(blows away all my ottos), ottos for the leaves, along with some SAE for the plants.

I left my tank run for a few weeks without an algae crew...everything looked bad. Ran out today for some, now need to go find some SAE for the slight hair algae that cropped up.

Good luck.

Oct 22, 2002
Silver Spring, MD
my tanks are kinda full about 8 neons, 9 zebra danios, three otos, 5-6 amano shrimps, one sae, three swordtails, one rosy barb longfin,  and one large cory dunno what type, and 2-3 coolie loaches not sure, and one australian green rainbow is that fully stocked in a 30gal? i do notice faster growth in my plants but also the pain in the butt green water but it's problly from the ferts i added last week

R

ronrca

equinom,
Check your yeast. Make sure it is the right type also and after opening, refrigerate. Im thinking that your yeast isnt doing what its suppose to.

equinom

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
The Blue Planet
ronca - "check my yeast?"
We haven't even kissed, and you want me to
"check my yeast?"   :eek:

Wait, wait -- I digress (again)

I made another bottle, this time plastic.  Instead of a metal pan, going to use a thick ceramic crock.  

And I'll "check my yeast"   ;)

It's a little funny - I make bread and have no problem with the yeast.  And that's having it rise at room temp, out on the kitchen counter.  The CO2 set up isn't 15 feet from the bread dough.   Perhaps I should put a hose from the dough into the tank... would be a little difficult to regulate.  Especially if it was a nut bread...   *twirlysmiley*  

R

ronrca

*laughingcryingsmiley* *laughingcryingsmiley* *laughingcryingsmiley* *laughingcryingsmiley* *laughingcryingsmiley* *laughingcryingsmiley*
Is your yeast refrigatored? If so, let it warm up to room temp. But if your bread is working out? Hmmm! Check the yeast type. Not all yeast will work.

equinom

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
The Blue Planet
Yes - Stored in the fridge, kept airtight.  What do you mean the wrong kind of yeast?  I have tried both cake yeast and powered yeast.

But hey, the batch in the plastic bottle, in the heated ceramic crock, is putting out about 1 bubble every
couple of seconds   :D  

The tube from the "generator"  goes into the water in another bottle. (It's about 1/3 full)  There is a short tube above the water, which attaches to another tube which attaches to a glass airstone...
But there is nothing coming out of the airstone  :(  

I'm thinking that there is too much air in the second bottle - so there isn't enough gas pressure to make it to the airstone?
Or the tubing is just too long, again not enough pressure?
I'm going to add more water to the second bottle, see what happens.  Do I need that second bottle?  I think it was for protecting the tank from having the yeast mixture flow into it.

I guess I could add another generator bottle - hooked into the same second bottle... increase the pressure.  But this tank is only 12 gallons, and it's in my kitchen - so there isn't a lot of room.

I'm already getting the evil eye from the y chromosone...
(now that it doesn't smell like beer anymore)

R

ronrca

Two bottles? Im not entirely clear how your setup is put together. My setup was one bottle with an air tube directly into the tank. I did not use the 'reactor' bottle but inserted the tube in the intake of my canister. Another thing, fill the bottle with yeast and sugar to about an inch from the top.

Check out:
http://www.thekrib.com/Plants/CO2/co2-narten.htmlhttp://www.thekrib.com/Plants/CO2/

What type is your yeast? Bread or active dry yeast (red star, fleishcmanns, etc)? I use the fleischmanns brand active dry.

I might be doing this all. Sometimes it takes experimenting with.  *thumbsupsmiley*

equinom

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
The Blue Planet
The krib is where I got it from
(I get a lot of info there)
Here is the link, it has a drawing of what I am trying to do:

http://www.thekrib.com/Plants/CO2/co2-faiz.html

And as for my (clears throat) yeast, (clears throat) it is Fleischmanns. I have tried the active dry (powder) and the fresh active (cake)

I think I am just going to try the tubing directly from the generator to the glass airstone.  I don't think the CO2 production is high enough to put the fish in danger.  I guess I could just take the stone out of the water when the timer turns the lights off.

I want to be sure you understand just how thankful I am to be able to ask so many questions and get helpful suggestions.  You guys (girls, too!) are great!  *thumbsupsmiley*

R

ronrca

I see now! Forget the middle jar. Im not really sure why the middle jar is there but I didnt use one. Also make sure you have a check valve inline. I should work otherwise.  *thumbsupsmiley*