DIY Canopy. DONE

Mahamotorworks

Superstar Fish
Aug 26, 2006
Thule, Greenland
www.myspace.com
Light Added

I just got back from some errands. I went to the LFS bought some Black gravel, it is now in the tank. Went to Home Depot, When looking at lights I found a 2 bulb 48" fixture with cord for $10. I bought 2 of them. Picked up 4 6500 K Bulbs while I was there. Stoped by the LFS with Feeder guppies, picked up $2.00 worth about 40 or so.

Got back home, put the fish in the tank. Installed the lights in the canopy. Took some pictures and here they are.

In the last Photo it made the Stand and everything look red for what ever reason. It really isnt.

I have 160 Total Watts, for 2.13 WPG. The total cost for Canopy, including Wood, Lights, and Bulbs is $50.

Thanks

MAHA

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2006
Oceanside California
are you going to stain it or leave it plain wood? I would perhaps put a handle on the lid... is there way to secure lid when it is up for cleaning? I would worry it fall down and hit my head... But great work, when i get big tank i will be doing same. Good work maha cant wait to see it set up fully.

Oct 15, 2006
I don't think a handle should go on.. ruins the looks.
You could put one of those locking hinge things like on a typical piano bench. To close it, jut push the hinge in at the joint and it will close.

Breene

Large Fish
Aug 1, 2006
Ohio
Looks good! The striplights you used look almost the same as mine except t-12s. Now that you paid 20 bucks for shoplights will you ever go buy a premade 1 bulb fixture for 60 bucks again? lol im never going back...

Dadstank

Large Fish
Nov 4, 2006
Minnesota
Looks great! I only have one thing to question... are the ballasts rated to run those type of bulbs? I have heard that if the ballasts aren't the right ones it can lower the life of the bulbs...
I don't know too much about electrical stuff when it comes to lighting.

Other than that I would say your craftmanship with the stand and canopy is top notch!! Kudos

Guysy1110

Large Fish
Oct 26, 2006
essex
It looks great !!, good craftmanship.

I think if you use a too higher wattage ballast with the lower wattage bulb, it can lower the life of the bulb but not that much.

Mahamotorworks

Superstar Fish
Aug 26, 2006
Thule, Greenland
www.myspace.com
The Lights are standard 48" 40W bulbs. The Ballast is designed for the bubs. I shouldnt have any problem wiht them.

What people are talking about is called overdriving. You put more Watts through a bulb by removing a 2nd bulb or adding a bigger ballast. For example. If I were to remove and rewire my lights I could run 80W through 1 40W bulb. Causeing it to be brighter but not last as long. You can look it up to find out more.

MAHA

Oct 22, 2006
I would suggest that you seal the wood (we call it estapol here in Australia, it's like clear deck varnish stuff) otherwise you'll find that the wood will warp pretty badly. Because it's unsealed the water that evaporates or spills from your tank will get into the wood and make it warp so it won't be straight and true any more.

Just something to think about! I stank out my whole house for days giving my stand and canopy the recommended 3 coats of varnish (I did it in the garage but the smells stays around for days!!) but it's worth it to lengthen the life of my setup!!

A