DIY canister filter

Pooky125

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Corvallis, Or
I had a dream about a very small canister filter a few months ago, and decided to give it a shot. I'm using a cheez-wiz jar, with holds poked in the top, for the aitline tubing. My problem is, is the cover to the jar is metal the tubing is plastic, and I can not think of a single glue that will bond the 2 together, can you?

dgodwin

Large Fish
Dec 2, 2002
Buffalo, NY
www.dgodwin.com
to answer your question, you could try to use some rubber seals or rings between the metal top and the tubing. Not sure if it will work, but I wouldn't try any glues (that might be toxic to your fish). I am confused on how you're going to use it. Most canister filters have some sort of impeller to force water through it. What do you have in there that allows you to do that?

AndyL

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Calgary AB
Silicone or epoxy would likely work. I believe there are also some standard plumbing fittings that could likely work, check out the plumbing section of your local hardware store.

Don't forget, simply putting water into, and pulling from the top won't flow the water through the media you're putting in that filter. You'll need something like a UGF plate in the bottom (and lift tube) to force the water to travel through the media. OR you could possibly split the cheeze whiz jar in half, with media in between, that could also work, but wouldn't allow as many media choices.

My .02 (I was thinking about this last night after discussing it with you).

Andy