DIY Aquarium

Rayneuki

Large Fish
May 29, 2008
Memphis, TN
Well it's official I'm going to build my own aquarium. I'm going to use this thread to document my experiences and ask for help ect.

I've figured that this will be cheaper (and more fun) in the long run than buying an aquarium. I'm going for 55gal +

First, I've seen a glass/wood combo aquarium with waterproof paint on the inside. If I do it this way, I have a guide listed here: Free aquarium Plans.

This idea intrigues me. If I go the wood route I'll make it seem to be like a sort-of odd TV. Put dials and buttons on it that actualy affect things. (Perhaps a dial that controls the light timer? A button that turns the light on and off? Possibilities are endless.) It could also make the problems with 'supports' easier.

My other idea is to use a large peice of slate rock as the bottom. I heard of a tank like this, and just the image in my head makes it sound beautiful.

I'm going to get a large peice of slate or marble, and extend it further from the tank walls if I go the slate way. I'm rather hesitant about this way, I don't want to make the tank more heavy that it needs to be.

I do plan on making a stand with it too. Which would make life a LOT easier.
And saying that plywood and glass aren't much more than .90 cents a sheet I'm not worried about cost *SUPERSMIL

So as I do my research and such. Anyone got some reccomendations? Possible ideas? Maybe I could build in little cubbies in the sides for plants and such?

This project is officially on the way! Plans will be posted soon enough... *twirlysmi

Last edited:

Rayneuki

Large Fish
May 29, 2008
Memphis, TN
36 X 24 X 17 is a 65 gallon.

If I go...

35 x 25 x 20 I get about 75 gallons.

35 x 25 x 25 gives me about 94.7 gallons...

This is by Length x Width x Hight by the way.

I'm thinking the 75 gallon... Not sure though. Perhaps the 94? It all depends doesn't it?

Inches always confused me so let's try this:

75 is 2'9" x 2' x 1'6"

Wow that's big xD

the 94 is 2'9" x 2' x 2'

Even bigger, but not by much for that much extra gallonage...
Perhaps I should make it wider? I am thinking of making cubbies for the plants in the sides... Instead of adding the five inches to the hight perhaps add them to the width... making it

35 x 30 x 20
2'9" x 2'5" x 1'6" That way I end up with 90 gallons.

Giving more floor space... Not sure, still working on it.

This all means in turn that my glass will need to be about...

3/8" thick glass. I might go up to 4/8" just for saftey sake. (rather have it too thick than too thin!)

Last edited:

bunker_1

Large Fish
Mar 24, 2008
Cincinnati
3/8" thick glass. I might go up to 4/8" just for saftey sake. (rather have it too thick than too thin!)

LOL that is 1/2" I think.

Good luck on this project. *celebrate I would like to mention, my 150g is 30" tall (2' 6"). When I do my water changes my entire arm is in the tank. It is much easier to clean a shorter longer tank than getting on a step stool and having your ear in the drink, lol.

ishar

MFT Staff
Jul 27, 2007
Hamilton, ON.
that sounds cool- but there are many things to consider.

If you change your dimensions away from standard sizes then you may have trouble getting lights and- I was going to say glass covers but you could likely make your own as you make your tank- to fit the dimensions of your tank.

I wouldn't do the rock bottom tank... that would add an incredible mount of weight to an already very heavy tank... And have you checked your flooring to make sure that it will be able to support the intense weight of your fish tank?

Just trying to bring up some points that need be considered :). Good luck with this project- I will be following along for sure :).

Rayneuki

Large Fish
May 29, 2008
Memphis, TN
That is very true. Hrm~

I think I might be able to handle 1'6" of water to reach into... My thirty long is about 1' so an extra 6 inches should be fine... If not I'll just... Train my fish to vaccum the tank!

Yeah, that's 1/2" glass xD The plans I'm pulling from is a 100+ gallon so 3/8 should be fine...
But yeah. Not sure what color I'm painting it though.

Ishar -

Yeah This tank is going downstairs instead of up in my room. I'm going to build a light into the cover, and set it up to where it's one of those all in one deals. It'll be hard but worth it!

And thanks! Home Depo here I come

Orion

Ultimate Fish
Feb 10, 2003
Kentucky
www.thefishcave.net
If you can get plywood thick enough for a project like this for .90 cents a sheet in Memphis, then I'll drive my truck down there and buy some and I can make a fortune here.

Don't do this to save money. With a tank this small, you probably won't save any money. People say all the time how they can grab a 55 tank and stand off of Craigslist for $50-80, and in a place like Memphis, you have a good shot I'd say.

Now I don't want to discourage you, not at all. If you want to do it for the fun of it, then do it! From what I've read and from talking to other people who've tackled similar projects, it ain't real cheap. The money saving part comes in when you get into the 500+ gallon sizes the way it seems.

The TV idea is really cool. You could do this with a standard tank I think. Just make a plywood or MDF facade around the tank, and hook everything up there, leaving a few inches on one side for the buttons. If you do the TV thing, don't forget the rabbit ears though!

Rayneuki

Large Fish
May 29, 2008
Memphis, TN
Round here, that price would get me a 30 gallon if I'm lucky. Tanks are expensive here for some reason. =_= Pisses me off.

My 30 long was 60$ with the stand. Which was a good deal. Usually folks put them up for 90+

And no stores are any better. So oddly enough I actually MIGHT save money.

Either way, I feel if I do the plywood thing I can make the tank as cool as I want. Such as cubbies for plants on the side and such...

Rayneuki

Large Fish
May 29, 2008
Memphis, TN
Hmm I've run into a rut.

Does anyone know of an aquatic paint that is safe for Fish? I read that the hull marine paint for boats is poisonous (to prevent barnicals and algea) so I'm pretty sure that's out of the question.

I'm thinking an Epoxy paint (water proof) Perhaps a pool paint? It would be non-toxic I think...

Rayneuki

Large Fish
May 29, 2008
Memphis, TN
I think so too. My step-dad is a painter so I'm gonna get him to help me with that...

The only thing is that a lot of them have Copper in them (Means no inverts...) or materials designed to kill barnicals... This is boat epoxy paint btw. I think top part epoxy is fine... again I'm getting my step-dad to help :]

I'm thinking of painting the inside with a water like design... Not sure what, perhaps some sort of river scene...

Rayneuki

Large Fish
May 29, 2008
Memphis, TN
Thanks lotus!!

Pure - Thanks I know. I'm also building this for fun, and so I can have something that's unique. It's something in my family "If you do something and love it, make yourself a unique niche for it."

Hence I'm making a tank! <3

Pure

Elite Fish
Nov 1, 2005
Jacksonville, FL
question for anyone who can answer. can you use particle board to build a tank?
It wouldn't be a very good idea. Something tells me it wouldn't hold screws in very well. The weight of the water pushing on the seams would probably have enough force to rip the screws out of the board.

Just a little FYI, aquatic plants don't seem to do very well if they are put in pots or "cubbys" that don't allow water to flow through the gravel.