Diseases!

Jul 18, 2011
underwater
I need help. When I set up my 20 gallon aquarium, I put some Flame Tetras in to do a fish-in cycle (plus they're my favorite fish) and for some reason they all had fin rot. So, I bought the API medication stuff (Works perfectly btw), and my Flames have fully recovered. 4 weeks later. I bought some Cherry Barbs to go with my flames, went to bed, and woke up the next morning. One died (guess that's what I deserve for doing a fish-in cycle) and 2 of them both had the fin loss I had with the Flames. One of them only had a tiny bit of rot on its tail, and the other had rot on its face and all it's fins. So, I put some aquarium salt, stress coat, and the last bit of the API medication. Why does this keep happening? I always do fish-in cycles, and this has never happened to me before. HELP! :eek:

Thyra

Superstar Fish
Jun 2, 2010
Yelm, WA
Well, for one thing, you don't say anything about testing the water for ammonia, nitrites and nitrates to see how your fish-in cycle is working and you still need to do that. You may have had things out of wack before you even put the Cherry Barbs in and they just immediately threw the cycle completely off.

Jul 18, 2011
underwater
Well, for one thing, you don't say anything about testing the water for ammonia, nitrites and nitrates to see how your fish-in cycle is working and you still need to do that. You may have had things out of wack before you even put the Cherry Barbs in and they just immediately threw the cycle completely off.
I don't think this has anything to do with ammonia, nitrate, and nitrite, since I would have had this in my 10 gallon when it was cycling.

Feb 27, 2009
But, I'll still put it up. Nitrite and Nitrate are both 0, so I guess my cycle is about 50% done.
I see you have another thread with the same topic of diseases, but how would zero readings in nitrite and nitrate mean you have done 50% of the nitrogen cycle???

You still need to measure ammonia, the first waste product that will injure your fish. Ammonia poisoning will lower the fish's ability to fight any disease.