Discus

D

discusaquarium

It depends, the general rule for discus is 10 gallons per discus. since you want to have other fish in there i would go with three. that's a pretty good number to have in a tank.  ;D

D

discusaquarium

oh crud, i missed the last part...suggestions...

hmm...i'd say cardinals or some ottos or maybe both depending on your filtration. whatever is from the amazon and is peaceful will pretty much work in there.

Franky099

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
southern Ohio
www.aquabid.com
great advice...thanks.  I figured about 3 of them would be good.  I know I'll have a couple cories...not sure what else....a school of cardinals would look neat I think...good suggestion!

I know i havent posted on here for awhile.  Ive been really busy with college classes full time and two part time jobs!!  

Amy

D

discusaquarium

sheesh talk about a busy schedule! hope we could help you.  ;D

R

ronrca

Like mentioned 3 is a good number and that number depends on the number of water changes you are willing to do, the filter, decor and size of the fish. I have heard that some people have 10 discus in a 30G but they also do water changes every second day. In my 90G, I have 6 discus and I feel that I could put more in. Everytime I do water changes(twice a week), I also test the water parameters. The no3 never goes up not even if I miss a water change. I will wait and see for another 2 months though before adding anything.

ryanp15

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Kentucky
Ron just remember that discus do get pretty big. Just give them time to get full grown and then see what you think. I think you will enjoy them better if they're not overstocked but they are happy and free swimming. ;D

dork187

Medium Fish
Oct 22, 2002
they are usually 6-8 inches but some get as long as 10 inches
this is measured fromt he tip of their nose to the tip of their tail
since the fish is circular in shape the rest of the fish will have just about the same length no matter which way you measure it

big beautiful fish
thats what they are