Discus with angels and gouramis?

usacutie81

Large Fish
Sep 6, 2006
St Louis
I'm considering moving everything out of the 75 gal. except the angels and the gouramis and then adding a school of discus! Yay! I've wanted them for a long time. Problem is it's been a while since I've researched discus and I don't remember whether they go okay w/ angels and gouramis. Thoughts?

Mahamotorworks

Superstar Fish
Aug 26, 2006
Thule, Greenland
www.myspace.com
Here is what I could find quickly on a Search Engine:

Angels & Discus

Freshwater Aquarium: Angels and Discus

One of the notions that some people fiercely defend is that Discus have to be the only fish in the tank -- i.e., they should not have any tank mates. Now, I'm not saying discus make good COMMUNITY tank fish- they absolutely do NOT. They don't compete well with more aggressive eaters, who will scarf down the food before slow-eating, grazing Discus fish even realize it. Granted, there aren't too many fish I would suggest keeping with discus (no Angels or big Plecos for sure!), but I actually think it best to keep some types of fish in with the Discus. I think it beneficial to have some Cory catfish in the tank, because they will devour any left over food the Discus miss. I also like to have an Ancistrus catfish and/or a Whiptail Catfish, and I'll explain why when I talk about discus fish's diet. Probably one of the most common fish to be kept with Discus are Cardinal Tetras, and with good reason. I think a school of Tetras serves as dither fish to the discus, and whenever I do a water change, as soon as my huge schools of Cardinals and Rummynose Tetras start swimming in formation, all the Discus come out from behind the plants. from discus

It is mixed info from what I hvae found.

MAHA

usacutie81

Large Fish
Sep 6, 2006
St Louis
Mushroomman said:
Angels are a great tankmate. Gouramis would probably be too boisterous for the discus really.
Yeah, the gouramis are the ones I was worried about. I've heard they are boisterous, but I've never seen ours be like that. Probably cuz we don't really have any slow, calm fish swimming around. I guess I might have to return them to the lfs. Good to know that the angels should be fine.

I checked out all those websites, MAHA, they were really helpful, thanks!:)

TheFool

Large Fish
Apr 19, 2006
When I kept discus I kept them with angels and they did well enough together. The diesease rumour (angels and discus share dieseases, angels resistant, discus not) is pretty well unproven. Gouramis I never kept much, but I also kept discus with a variety of plecs, cories, dwarf cichlids, small cichlids like Biotodoma, and I found them very similar in character to angels. I think most people have horribly nercous discus as they keep them in bae bottom tanks with no other fish in too small numbers.

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
Actually, I think the problem would more be with regular gouramis instead of the dwarfs like you have. The dwarfs are a whole lot more passive and peaceful than, for example, a blue/gold/opaline gourami. You might have more of an issue adding discus to the tank with 4 established angels.

usacutie81

Large Fish
Sep 6, 2006
St Louis
CAPSLOCK said:
Actually, I think the problem would more be with regular gouramis instead of the dwarfs like you have. The dwarfs are a whole lot more passive and peaceful than, for example, a blue/gold/opaline gourami. You might have more of an issue adding discus to the tank with 4 established angels.
The angels are tiny though, do you think that would matter? I could always move them to a quarantine tank for a week or so and then bring them back after the discus have adjusted. Hmmm.

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
Oh, that should make a difference. You can always add the discus and see how it goes, and then remove the angels to quarantine temporarily if they are being pesky to the new discus.

usacutie81

Large Fish
Sep 6, 2006
St Louis
Cool. The angels are new and I like them, so I'd like to keep them. I'm hoping that I'll get a pair with these 4 and maybe have babies! But if it comes down to returning the angels or letting them attack the discus, the angels will have to go. I spent a lot less on them than I will on discus!

Should I do anything different to my tank to prep it for discus? I think I'm gonna have to get rid of the rocks and replace them with something else (more plants?) cuz they're kinda sharp and I don't wanna hurt the discus. I think the filtration is good enough, we have an XP3 for a 75 gal. which I knew may be overkill but figured too much filtration is better than not enough.

Here's a pic of my tank, got any tips on getting it discus ready?

Fuzz16

Superstar Fish
Oct 20, 2006
Wellsville, KS
anything sharp should probably be removed. if they get scared they might swim past it and cut themselves.
raise temp to 80-85F
ph should be at 6.5-7

and they like plants.
your other fish should be fine. if you get healthy discus then they shouldnt have a problem getting food.