Discus like DIRTY water.

usacutie81

Large Fish
Sep 6, 2006
St Louis
I was at the lfs again today admiring the dozen or so discus that they got in a few weeks ago and I got to talking to one of the employees. I was curious whether they did water changes every day or every couple days or just once a week or so; the discus are still very small, only 1 1/2 inches in diameter or so. So I asked how often he does water changes on that particular tank (they were in their own octagon tank with some guppies and driftwood).

You should've seen my face when he said, and I quote, "Oh, discus like their water pretty dirty so I only do water changes once a month, maybe less than that sometimes." I wasn't facing the guy, which is a good thing cuz I'm pretty sure my jaw dropped in shock. Should I have corrected him? Should I have shown him one of the MANY discus books they have in stock that say discus like PRISTINE water conditions?

This lfs is usually touch and go as far as whether they know what they're talking about, but I am officially never listening to anything they say again.

usacutie81

Large Fish
Sep 6, 2006
St Louis
I think for some reason he assumed that because they like dimmer lighting, that must mean they like dirty water. I think. I don't know. But the fish definitly don't look as nice now as they did when they first arrived. They're still eating, and getting color, but they are looking ... odd. I guess stunted. Is the dirty water stunting them? Should I let him know?

VirgoWolf

Superstar Fish
Feb 16, 2006
Michigan
I don't know what to tell you to do in this situation, some people would greatly appreciate the advice, but some people you could slap them with the book untill the words "PRESTINE WATER CONDITIONS" were imprinted all over their face and they still would do it their way.

I just wish there was some way to make people who don't know enough about fish unable to keep them or sell them unless they are willing to learn BEFORE they get the fish.

SANND

Large Fish
Jul 20, 2005
Washington, DC
I would print out sited source of discus facts and give it to him. He'll either thank you and correct his wc schedule or throw it away. Either case you did you best. If it really pisses you off you could always file a complaint at the BBB or with local fish associations.

Toam

Large Fish
Jul 27, 2005
Grove, Oklahoma
I've had many of pro's and con's with my LFS, the latest rant of mine was regarding them selling alligator gar(which can grow up to 10') without letting people know how big they can grow. I must say this though, they did recently acquire two beautiful discus, and the tank they keep them in in absolutely pristine. They aren't usually an LFS to accomadate sensitive fish, but the discus tank has driftwood, loads of live plants, and I know they do the water change on that tank daily.
I guess in the end, all of our LFS' are going to have pro's and con's and it's up to us to either correct them, or find another LFS. Wish we could all go together and open our own franchise eh? where fish are respected, as well as the people buying them.

MissFishy

Superstar Fish
Aug 10, 2006
Michigan
If they are indeed selling books in the very same store that contradict what the employee is shelling out, I would have brought it up. Maybe saying, really? where did you hear that? every book I've read, including the ones I've purchased here have said quite the opposite.

No reason to let poor fish suffer without at least attempting to say something, that's my opinion anyways.

usacutie81

Large Fish
Sep 6, 2006
St Louis
I'll be in town tomorrow, so I'll stop by the lfs and bring it up. It's really a shame, cuz the poor little things don't look nearly as nice as they did when they first got them.

IDunnoWhy

Superstar Fish
Nov 16, 2006
Deerfield, WI
usacutie81 said:
"Oh, discus like their water pretty dirty so I only do water changes once a month, maybe less than that sometimes."
That's one of the dumbest things I've heard....I am by no means a Cichlid Pro, But I have read about discuss and other Cichlids enough to know that nearly Perfect water conditions are preferred. I would return to the store, and at least try to enlighten him a little, if for no other reason than the fishes health.