Difference: Tropical Fish Food and Cichlid Food

levia7han

Large Fish
Aug 20, 2003
Nebraska
Visit site
I tell you what

I was just about to ask this question myself. I have been feeding my baby cons crushed flake. But I was wondering if I should be feeding them Cichlid flake instead.

I was always worried that regular flake was kinda a junk food for cichlids

Lev

Flex26

Large Fish
Apr 21, 2003
Delaware County, PA
Visit site
Originally posted by Managuense
it is just a label.....

the only thing that matters is what you see when you read the ingredients......because the ingredients dont lie like the packaging :)
what ingredients should I be looking for? i read the thread about quality fish food. i didn't really see anything that specified what ingredients to look for.

Managuense

Superstar Fish
May 16, 2003
Springfield, MO
what fish are you feeding?

when you are looking at ingredients, they "by law" must be listed in order of percent content......in other words, the first ingredient may be 30% of the entire bag, the second ingredient 25%, etc.

the main way this is helpful is to see if the label actually matches the ingredients, and many times it doesnt :mad:

some of the foods out there have an extremely elaborate label, but have the same ingredients as any other food.

i dont buy "bio-blend" foods from marienland for this reason.......they claim to be "scientifically blended" whatever the hell that means, and lo-and-behold the first ingredient of this food is the generic "fishmeal" followed up by wheat flour, soybean meal......sounds like every other food to me.

i am not bashing the food or the company, but there is no way i will pay that much money for food where the main ingredient is "fishmeal"

omega one foods seem farily promising, listing things like "whole cod, whiting, etc." other than "fish meal" .....the problem is i cant get any of my fish to actually eat the stuff :rolleyes:

i do the same thing with cat food on a tip from allthingsanimal -

have you ever read the ingredients of a bag of cat food?

on the cheaper ones the first ingredient is usually "dried yellow corn"

wait a minute, werent cats carnivores though? *crazysmil

i look for "poultry product" or "chicken ----" as the first ingredient of my cat food.

another thing that is funny to note is that many of those cat foods are cut into little colorful shapes, etc.......but cats are colorblind :rolleyes:

the companies make them that way to look good to HUMANS, not cats.....kind of silly really.

Gomer

Superstar Fish
Apr 25, 2003
So Calif.
beyond_gomer.tripod.com
some bit of caution. The ingredients list might be the same and in the same order, but they can be completely different. Lets suppose that cichlids need more protein, less fiber, more fat, and less carbs than tropical fish

An example with simplified ingredients

Cichlid ingredients:
protein, fiber, fat, carbs

tropical:
protein, fiber, fat, carbs

real difference

Cichlid:
protein=70%, fiber=15%, fat=12%, carbs=3%

Tropical:
Protein=50%, fiber=37% fat=8%,carbs=5%

I have no idea the real difference

Also, scientificaly blended can have the most simple ingredients and be the most healthy. It could be blended such that it has the optimum nutrient ratios.

..just some ramblings :)

Managuense

Superstar Fish
May 16, 2003
Springfield, MO
Also, scientificaly blended can have the most simple ingredients and be the most healthy. It could be blended such that it has the optimum nutrient ratios
yeah, i see your point.

the problem is that there really isnt any compelling evidence out there about EXACTLY what a particular fish is eating (*for the most part)......making it almost a crapshoot to try to guess what the "optimum" nutrient ratios would be.

also, i am not so much talking about the "order" of the ingredients in terms of protein, wheat, etc.....although you obviously wouldnt want the first ingredient to be wood chips or something :)

but WHAT they are such as "whole fish" vs. "fishmeal" etc etc........the quality of the ingredients.

if i pay a LOT of money for some "new and improved" line of food i certainly dont expect to see the same ambiguous ingredients like "fishmeal", which tells me nothing.

Last edited:

Managuense

Superstar Fish
May 16, 2003
Springfield, MO
all in all, the frustration of buying expensive foods that none of my fish will touch (even after weeks) makes me more of a "buy what they will eat" type of shopper (hikari pellets)

i do agree that some foods, especially live foods are definately better than others.

as far as pelleted diets go i dont think i am really convinced yet.....

Somonas

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
O-town
www.myfishtank.net
just a quick comment about the marine land bio-blend jab. I think you will find that the ingredients near the end of the label are the important ones (vitamins, medicines etc).
I have only tried the mini algae pellets so I can't comment on their effectiveness. If they werent so expensive I'd get their pellets more often.

On the other hand I refuse to feed omega pellets. Too fatty! Fish love them so much and gorge themselves
Omega flakes are great again expensive. I found a great midrange pellet from Hikari

Flex26

Large Fish
Apr 21, 2003
Delaware County, PA
Visit site
The reason I ask is because I feed my convict tropical flakes. She is around 2-3 inches. She seems to big for flakes (watching her eat flake food is comical). I also feed some shrimp pellets, pieces of algae wafers, and freeze dried blood worm in between. So I am going to buy some pellets for her. I'm not sure if I should get the cichlid pellets or not. Do they make tropical pellets? Hmmm....I'll have to check.

My guess is the mix of food is good enough.

Managuense

Superstar Fish
May 16, 2003
Springfield, MO
On the other hand I refuse to feed omega pellets. Too fatty! Fish love them so much and gorge themselves
really? i have not found that any of my fish would eat this stuff, no matter how much i wanted them to.

any secrets? :)

just a quick comment about the marine land bio-blend jab. I think you will find that the ingredients near the end of the label are the important ones (vitamins, medicines etc).
i dont want to take a "big" shot at these pellets, but i bought a large container of them when they first came out and i really felt ripped-off.

i periodically supplement my cichlid pellets with my own vitamin supplements, so i guess that i was looking for more impressive "core" ingredients than vitamins.

i think i had ONE fish that would eat them, but thats it.

to each person their own though, i read that some people love them.

Somonas

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
O-town
www.myfishtank.net
Originally posted by Flex26
I also feed some shrimp pellets, pieces of algae wafers, and freeze dried blood worm in between. So I am
This is the key here
You are feeding your cichlid a wide variety of foods, which is paramount to success.
Pellets can cause problems. They have been known to expand in fish quickly and cause bloat. I only use the smallest ones (baby).

Managuense

Superstar Fish
May 16, 2003
Springfield, MO
i am 100% telling the truth when i say that i have tried that with these oscars, and it didnt work.....man i wish it would, i really like that omega one food.

i understand that your idea is realistic though.....if they are on the verge of starvation, i am sure they would eat it......i guess I myself am part of the problem.