die snails die

AquaPsycho

Medium Fish
Oct 22, 2002
ok so some how I got one snail in my tank then i noticed there were two. I though it was kinda cool because they were cleaning the tank but now they have just multiplied and multipled what the heck do i do?? please help!

D

discusaquarium

if you have the room try putting a clown loach or two in there. they will keep the snail population down. there is also a medicine that kills them, but i'm not so sure about that. it will make clown loaches reaaallly happy in there.  ;D

AquaPsycho

Medium Fish
Oct 22, 2002
well right now there are only 4 neon tetras in there its a 30 gallon tank and when i say thats all thats in there i mean there isnt any driftwood or anything right now because there was a piece i found at the beach but the water was brown and it never cleared up so i finally removed it and i dont have much money right now but i will try to get some clown loaches this weekend! and hopefully at least a piece of driftwood in there too!

If you have no decor or plants then it would be safe to go with the chemical cure , if planted avoid it, when all the snails die you have to remove them fairly quickly as they can soon pollute your water,if it is planted you will never get them all.
Find a small bottle, place a catfish pellet in it and then sink to bottom of tank at lights out, after one hour remove and dispose of contents, repeat until clear of snails. 8)

D

discusaquarium

i'll have to remember that. thanks cloth...i have never heard that before.  ;D

ryanp15

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Kentucky
Yes that bottle thing really works. I'm not sure if you should do the clown loaches as they thrive in groups of like 4 or 5 and they get pretty big. You can try like 3 though. They do really good on snails. ;D

R

ronrca

I would stay away from chemicals/medications! I had snails in my 30G. Whenever I saw one (or many), I would remove them from the tank by squishing them. I had a 2G bowl with a betta in it. He loved to eat snails also. Go the natural way instead of chemicals.

ryanp15

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Kentucky
Yeah chemicals in the aquarium arn't the way to go. I agree. My friend had the best time squishing his and I thought he was dumb but it was kinda fun. ;D They're suprisingly easy to kill when young. :)

kitten

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
i've found that the younger they are the faster they run..oh wait...snails...yeah squish em dead then feed your other fish if ya got a betta or whatever else :)

ryanp15

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Kentucky
Hummm I'll have to try those little clowns loaches then. ;D LOL

Fishboy what do you mean burn ??? I think that's to simple. Try something more creative. ;D That's just a joke. ;D

kitten

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
I reckon you should have at least 10 neons, maybe get two or three more phantoms...and 3-4 clowns :)

You really need to get some plants in there, even temparary ones...it will make the fish a lot happier and could save them from dying from stress and whatever else. just chuck in something cheap till your ready to plant it up. The fish you've chosen prefere fully planted tanks. (i bet you know all this already tho :))

(WOW on the price of those yoyos!!!! I'm dead serious, if anyone wants to ship some to me I'll pay for everything) :-*

AquaPsycho

Medium Fish
Oct 22, 2002
I will take a pic of my loaches and make sure they are yo-yo's  the reason I dont have plants is because I would have to order them online most likely and there is usually a min order? I have to wait until I get some more money for that. What is a good place to get the plants from and what kind of plants should I get. This is the other problem. I know plants need a lot of light. Since I only have 1 24 inch full spectrum right now I dont think many plants would live. I checked into a better lighting scheme and Im looking at coming up with $70?

AquaPsycho

Medium Fish
Oct 22, 2002
well I bought two of them and they seem to be doing a good job. There were a ton of snails as well as snail eggs in there and now the only snails that are left are above the water line and the 1 big original snail =] maybe your loach needs a friend to help him?