Die Fungus Die!!!

Iggy

Superstar Fish
Jun 25, 2003
Leduc, AB, Canada
Visit site
I think we got the right treatment for poor little Finchy.

After a lot of research, and different treatments, it looks like the culprit behind Finchy's illness is indead fungus. The way it spreads, looks and is affecting him all points to body fungus.

I just did a 40% water change, added a little melafix and Jungle Anti-Fungus. His water now has a slightly gold color to it, and Finchy is holding on.

The only thing that is giving me any hope now is how tough Finchy has been so far. It took a while to diagnose, find an effective treatment, and trace-down the cause, and I do not know if I got it in time to save him or not.

The moral support has been great, keep it up, we are not our the fhe (er) woods yet, but there is still hope.

Cautiously optimistic :rolleyes:!

Iggy

Superstar Fish
Jun 25, 2003
Leduc, AB, Canada
Visit site
Been researching fungus on bettas!

Odds are not in Finchy's favor!!! Not a lot of sucess stories. Seen some sample pictures, it is definately fungus.

Would not be so worried if he was eating. He can still swim up to take breaths.

God! Please don't let it be too late.

Iggy

Superstar Fish
Jun 25, 2003
Leduc, AB, Canada
Visit site
Just trying to make him comfortable now. Water temp is nice, no more meds, water changes, no more tampering.

The fungus has too strong a hold on him now. Not much hope left. Will post when it happens.

:(

colesea

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
NY USA
You sure it is fungus? Lots of different bacterial infections look like fungal infections.

My betta got a nasty case of fin rot once. Ate the top half of his tail and worked its way onto his tail stock. It had eaten away so much of his skin you could see the muscle layers beneath it. I did some pretty drastic dosing. One tablet of Maracyn, Maracyn II, and Erythromiacine every day, and an entire tank clean once a week, and a palmful of salt added once a week for good measure. Did this until I saw the wound actually start to shrink, then I stopped treaments except for frequent fifty percent water changes.

Well, he survived. He has some scar tissue and his tail will never bee the full, glorious flare it once was, but he's still alive. Scale has even grown back over the nasty wound so you'd never know it was there in a quick look.

It just takes a whole lot of patience and time, but it is possible with enough dedication to save a fish.
~~Colesea

Iggy

Superstar Fish
Jun 25, 2003
Leduc, AB, Canada
Visit site
Thanks Colsea,

I am pretty positive its fungus. I found a picture of a betta with fungus and it was exactly the same, not to mention how it is affecting him and his behavior.

He did something that warmed my heart. When he was healthy, and the room was dark with the tank light on, he would flare at his reflection. Well, I walked in to see how he was doing, and wouldn't you know it, that little guy was up and flaring at his reflection. I turned on the room light so the reflection would disappear, and he could rest. I did not plan this, but it was nice to see him doing his thing, protecting his turf.

I just tucked Finchy in for the night. He can still swim and get air, and some of the fungus around his mouth seems to have cleared up. Not interested in food yet, but he did eat this morning.

I was feeling pretty low my last post. It has been a real up and down emotional situation. I am so new at this, and I really bond with my pets.

I am glad your betta survived his fin rot. It any betta can survive this, Finchy can. You should see him, he is a real brute - not big per say, but tough and full of 'ya I`m da fish' attitude.

I do not want to get my hopes up, but I will never give up as long as he keeps on fighting. The Jungle Anti-Fungus treatment is doing something, less fluf in areas that were affected earlier, but still has enough on him to say he is in critical condition.

Anyone have a fish survival story, I could use the support!

Last edited: