debates over fig 8 care to share your info and know hows?

GrImLoCk

Large Fish
Oct 2, 2003
Aag Town
Visit site
out of all brackish and freshwater puffers figs 8 r ones i never kept b4...but i was doing a little research on them from what i have always thought was they're brackish water fishes but after some research today i could be wrong. i check a few forums and websites and this is the info i got that says they're freshwater fishes. they stated that figs 8 were never been recorded caught or seen in brackish waters but in freshwater rivers. they also only breed in fresh water. that leds me to believe were the fo hizzy did we get that they were brackish fish? well i'm gonna do a little testing myself maybe cruel but only 1 way to find out after i rearrange my tanks i will have 2 10 gallons to spare...i will keep one in totally fresh and 1 in brackish and see how they do...n e input and opinions r greatly welcome i wanna get to the bottom of this...i mean here we are telling people that they're brackish fish (including myself) when they thrive better in fresh is just so wrong

CoNMaN

Large Fish
Jul 1, 2003
Madison, Wisconsin
Visit site
I agree with you completely that there is a debate, The thing is that some do thrive in freshwater and some in brackish because when they are young, they are born in freshwater, and when the mature they swim further down the river to the brackish area of the river (closer to the sea) then when they mate they swim back up river to the freshwater (hence no one in captivity breeds them in brackish) Sooo if you want to do it right, start them young in fresh, and as they mature slowly make the tank more brackish, then you money.

GrImLoCk

Large Fish
Oct 2, 2003
Aag Town
Visit site
okay after doing more research on the web theres another problem...another argument sprung up about fig 8 and gsp can be kept in full blown salt....now the brackish water makes sense but full blown salt just doesn't add up....but after compiling information i came up w/ what i think is best water type for them....brackish w/ salinity around 1.007-1.01 and fluxiate (spellcheck) them a few points between water changes seems to be best imo

CoNMaN

Large Fish
Jul 1, 2003
Madison, Wisconsin
Visit site
If that is what you want to do to your fish thats fine by me. But if your trying to recreate how it is in the wild i already told you. Increase as they get older. and im sure in the wild some are caught pretty far out in saltier water, (why not go for a nice long swim?) 420loaches puff was actually caught in an all freshwater pond, and if ya ask He will tell the story of how he almost lost him.

GrImLoCk

Large Fish
Oct 2, 2003
Aag Town
Visit site
by all means i wasn't gonna do n e of the things i said wanted to see how everyone else responds i have alway varied my brackish puffers between the salinity lvl of 1.005-1.008 never n e lower or higher as for people who say they got their fish caught in fresh water or saltwater i find that hard to believe 1st off those fish are on the other side of the world..2nd off you weren't there to see them get caught unless they hand you some paper work which i doubt they got...brackish water fish is one of my favorite if not favorite types of fish and this section was getting dull just wanted to debate over things heh thx for participating oh yea igor yea puffer collector has 2 puffers in full blown marine....he also he says it was born and raise in salt water....how he know? was he there? oh yea another thing is reason why young green spotted puffer can live in freshwater when they're young is b/c thats were they were spawn

CoNMaN

Large Fish
Jul 1, 2003
Madison, Wisconsin
Visit site
Yes, i have given up on puffer collector, I talked to the kid several times. Just let him do what he wants, and smile and nod when he askes something. Because he is right.

Grim, i understand completely, I love talkin about puffers. And since no one talks about them in the FW discussion, i always check here for a lil puffer chat.