Crayfish habitat?

Aug 17, 2009
Chicago
I have a 20L tank that I was going to set up as a terranium for a new fiddler crab, but I've seen a few crayfish in the LFS and they seem pretty neat.

Does anyone know about crayfish habitats? Are they creatures that need space to come out of the water? Or are they ones to stay submerged?

The habitat I was planning is more like a bank (either lake or river)

Thank you.

jingles

Medium Fish
Jan 28, 2009
Auburn, AL
Nope they have gills (fiddlers have gills and primitive lungs) so they stay submerged. I don't know if fiddlers and crayfish would be good tankmates. Fiddlers need brackish water for one and I don't know how crayfish would bode in brackish. Also crayfish will eat anything (depending on its size) and fiddlers and crays can be territorial.

Be careful too some crays get big and if your doing a half tank a foot long crayfish wouldn't be best. Sounds like a cool concept but I wouldn't recommend it.

stoddern

Large Fish
Jul 26, 2009
Vermont
I know this thread is basicly dead but I've had a blue cobalt lobster (crayfish) now for a few months he or she has molted once, they will eat the old shell and it has also eaten my blue gourami other then that he has been pretty mellow hasn't bothered my bristle nose pleco at all other then stealing his cave, he does nibble some on my anubia but mainly eats algea waffers like they are crack.

would love some help with what I should get as live food for him