Craig's List

Thyra

Superstar Fish
Jun 2, 2010
Yelm, WA
I will admit this is an eye opening experience! I started reading some of what weren't exactly ads among the other available pets and found there were lot of warnings and bad outcomes. A couple of things that really struck me were the incidents where people took there kids ( or someones kids along) when they went to look at a dog or pup and then later the original owner found that they had immediately resold it. Plus there were several complaint of people who were taking dogs in saying they were rescue type shelters and had fancy names - and then just reselling the $50 or free dogs they got. In fact some were just answering to "lost dogs' and managing to take them and reselling them - I am telling you, I came across some real wild stories plus accusations. There was even someone trying to sell an alligator (highly illegal in at least this state) - and snakes - I learned a lot more about different kinds of snakes then I ever wanted to know. There was even a centipede from Vietnam that was deadly poison that some one was trying to find a home for - can't remember if he was asking a rehoming fee, but he did say if it bit you, it required an immediate hospital visit! I guess I still have a lot to learn - who would have thought a jaguar was a snake? -Suddenly my monitor was full of SNAKE!

Feb 27, 2009
Have you placed a 'wanted' ad on CL for a dog? At least you can not give out your contact information unless the responses you get from CL forwarding them to you sounds like a good match.

Thyra

Superstar Fish
Jun 2, 2010
Yelm, WA
I will get to meet the prospective family addition tonight! I am as nervous as an expectant mother. Someone finally responded to one of my inquires because she said we sounded like the ideal home for her dog. Its a 3 yr. old Shiba Inu/ Australian Shepard mix. We are hoping it will be a good match for our dog. More later.

Thyra

Superstar Fish
Jun 2, 2010
Yelm, WA
Well, here she is! Sharp little girl - probably smarter than we are. It has been 24 hours and there has been a few stand offs between the dogs, but this evening they suddenly started playing and running full speed. Then a little later they had another altercation, but I think this is going to work - just will take a little more time. Yard 001.jpg

Thyra

Superstar Fish
Jun 2, 2010
Yelm, WA
Unfortunately (or fortunately) her name is Maya and she really responds to it quick. The problem is one of our daughter's name is Maiya and although she is an adult and on her own, her and her husband are probably the ones that visit us the most frequently. We thought about Mayca, but that turns into a combination of Maiya's and Nyca's name (oldest daughter). Both daughters said, "Mom it doesn't matter. You frequently started with one of our names and changed to the other midway." Anyway, you can see the dilemma.

She is bonding with us completely. Although husband said firmly, "No dogs in our bed." she has slept with us both nights. She is fairly small - about 25 pounds. I need to get her spayed but didn't want to do it for at least a week or two. She came from a family who just wanted to get her a quiet home in the country because they said their house was where all the kids in the neighbor hood congregated and Maya was starting to be nervous about all the commotion.

Feb 27, 2009
I used to run a non-profit group for dogs (breed specific) and found that changing the name is not a big deal. A few weeks of using the new name with treats and when attention is given (walking, brushing, etc.) and they quickly learn it.

Thyra

Superstar Fish
Jun 2, 2010
Yelm, WA
Thanks everyone! OC, I think you are right. I have just been so impressed as to how quickly she responds that I didn't want to rock the boat - particularly until I am absolutely sure about what we want to change it to.

Feb 27, 2009
We had a dog that, in going thru obedience class, the trainer noticed that she cringed slightly when praised. When we watched on a video tape, it was when her name was used. When we changed her name to something totally different, she responded so much better and went on to be a 'fly ball' champion and her owner takes her to hospitals as a therapy dog. I think changing her name helped her forget the prior (obviously bad) experience she had with someone else.