Craig's List

Thyra

Superstar Fish
Jun 2, 2010
Yelm, WA
In the past I have always approached it by looking in "For Sale" and searching for "aquariums" - and never found much, although about two years ago I did find one. Recently I have been looking for a dog and using the same approach - and was surprised how few dogs were available in a rather large area. THEN my daughter ask me how I was searching and informed me I was all wrong - I needed to go to "Community" and click on "Pets". Wow, what a difference!! Not only dogs, but aquariums, fish, plants, decor and all kinds of creepy, crawling, flying things.

I am posting this just in case someone else doesn't have a kid that can enlighten them on the finer art of using Craig's List. :)

Feb 27, 2009
A good friend of mine got a 220 gallon tank from someone on craigslist for free, all equipment included. Seems the owner went to prison and the landlord of the house gave it away. No one in the man's family wanted the tank, altough they did come to get furniture, clothing, personal items, etc.

All my friend "paid" was a 6pack of beer and a couple of pizzas to entice some neighbors to help him load it up into his truck and then into his house!

Thyra

Superstar Fish
Jun 2, 2010
Yelm, WA
Actually what I was saying is, I just plain wasn't looking in the right place on the site - maybe it was fortunate - I would now own too much stuff! Lol

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
When I was searching (in vain) for a stand on craigslist, I was searching for both "fish tank" and "aquarium" in both the for sale and the pets sections. Comes up with a lot of stuff. Their search feature is kinda sucky though - ie, it doesn't include "reptiles" if you only search "reptile."

Thyra

Superstar Fish
Jun 2, 2010
Yelm, WA
What I am trying to say is that the heading is under "Community" for "Pets" - I would have never thought to look there. I can't believe the stuff that is there - I am still looking for a dog, but there is everything from aquariums to centipedes, to sugarbabies, and things I never heard of - but a lot of reptiles - I click on things an suddenly a snake I never knew existed shows up on my screen- I just can't believe the things that people consider pets!

Feb 27, 2009
Glad you found the community section. CL is kinda strict on the 'no pets' in the free or for sale area. A lady I know sells sheep and goats for 4H kids to raise, and her ads often get flagged and removed for being 'pets.' However, per the terms of service, livestock is allowed.

Thyra

Superstar Fish
Jun 2, 2010
Yelm, WA
What I can't figure out is the rules supposedly say "No pet sales" but you can charge a small rehoming fee. There is no definition of the word "small" and I don't consider $300 - $600 small - plus some of the ads actually say "For Sale -- puppies". And as far as the "Rescue" places - all I can say is impossible. I have filled out at least four applications - maybe more - and I think I could adopt a child easier. The details they want are unreal - and some of the contracts you have to sign say they still basically own the dog, In fact I haven't heard back after two weeks from at least three of them so we probably don't qualify on some technicality. If anyone is interested, here is an article I found listed on Craig's List describing some of the problems.

Animal rescue: Want to adopt a dog or cat? Prepare for an inquisition. - Slate Magazine

FishDad

Superstar Fish
Mar 4, 2012
Cleveland
What I can't figure out is the rules supposedly say "No pet sales" but you can charge a small rehoming fee. There is no definition of the word "small" and I don't consider $300 - $600 small - plus some of the ads actually say "For Sale -- puppies". And as far as the "Rescue" places - all I can say is impossible. I have filled out at least four applications - maybe more - and I think I could adopt a child easier. The details they want are unreal - and some of the contracts you have to sign say they still basically own the dog, In fact I haven't heard back after two weeks from at least three of them so we probably don't qualify on some technicality. If anyone is interested, here is an article I found listed on Craig's List describing some of the problems.

Animal rescue: Want to adopt a dog or cat? Prepare for an inquisition. - Slate Magazine
Some of those contracts are absolutely insane. Some years ago I bought my wife a kitten as a playmate for our 5 yr old cat who was an indoor/outdoor cat. So needless to say the new one was as well. Apparently in the fine print of the contract it states "indoor only"... so they actually drove to my house and catnapped my wife's new cat. They actually left a note on our door telling us that they had repossessed the animal. The long and short of it is I marched into the adoption center with my receipt in hand and two cops behind me. They gave the cat back.

So when we bought our new puppy I "line vetoed" every mention of repossession in the contract and insisted that no purchase would take place if the contracted was not accepted that way. It worked.

Thyra

Superstar Fish
Jun 2, 2010
Yelm, WA
Thanks, FishDad - I am getting really depressed over this problem. The more I read, the more I am finding people who have had problems adopting pets. I have given up on the rescue places because of those applications. I have filled out several in great detail and I guess I must have failed because they don't respond. I have even sent pictures of our entire yard and the inside of our house - although I don't know what business it is of theirs except for the fence. They have stupid questions like "How much money will you budget for the dog if he gets ill or injured?" How should I know - it depends on too many unknowns. One has to consider the age and quality of life for the pet. The fact is they still want to own the dog, but part of the contract says you have to pay all expenses involved in them confiscating it and treating it should they decide you aren't treating to their specifications. Although Craigs List states you can't sell pets there - just a small rehoming fee - they will not stop the ads that include the word sale or say what they consider "small" I don't consider $200 - $700 small!

Feb 27, 2009
That is so odd, Thyra. I take it you are not dealing drugs or hosting how-to sessions on animal abuse at your home! Are there no Humane Societies or government 'animal pounds' in/around Yelm?

Thyra

Superstar Fish
Jun 2, 2010
Yelm, WA
Lol - Nope, none of the above. I have carefully filled out the forms - am starting to wish I hadn't because I also told them how we always left our door ajar so the dogs could come and go as they pleased! We have lived in the same place for 35 years. I sent pictures of our yard and the inside of our house. This week end we drove 300 miles to see several humane societies and pounds. Although the one knew we were coming, they sent the one dog we were interested in to a foster home before we could get there - although we arrived and waited outside before they opened. We then hurried back to a pound we had visited on the way down to Oregon and we were both intrigued with one of the dogs there although she wasn't a breed we were looking for. (we had stopped on our way to Oregon) There was no one to help us and it became apparent in minutes that the young dog had never had a leash on. We managed to get her from the kennel (which had no bed) to a play area. She played, but not with us, and we took her back to her kennel - with the ball she seemed to proud to have - but you have to understand, we are in our 70's and that dog needs more than us - I cried, but we just couldn't do it in good faith. I do not think we could have gotten her in the crate we had along by ourselves.

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
Thyra - have you tried looking on petfinder.com? A lot of rescue groups may not have a "site" you can visit but do have animals available in foster homes. That being said, for some reason a lot of rescues are "pickier" about where they place their animals, though often requirements are spelled out on their websites.

I actually work in an animal shelter on Cape Cod (have for 6 years now). And we do lots of adoptions for people looking for indoor / outdoor cats, dogs without fenced yards, people who work, have kids, have full time jobs, etc. Essentially, our philosophy is that people are going to get an animal whether it is from a shelter or from a breeder or a pet store. Why not encourage them to adopt one? And incidentally it is also a spayed and vaccinated animal if it is from us. So it is more about working with that home and finding them the right animal, not denying the adoption altogether. (Obviously, people with a history of neglect or abuse or similar are another story). But we don't want to place an animal into a totally inappropriate home, so we may deny the adoption of a specific animal for a specific reason. In other words, we will not adopt a dog with aggression issues to a home with a 5 year old child, and nor will we adopt a legitimately cat-aggressive dog to a household with a cat - but we will find either of those homes an appropriate animal. It's all in a conversation.

We do not adopt a cat to someone who will declaw, but we will take their name and find them an already declawed cat. That is pretty much the main one we deny, along with people who somehow think they are fine with this non-child-friendly dog and their 4 year old (I've always wondered about people who are willing to be riskier with their kids than a stranger would be...).

We actually have the opposite problem more commonly - when we get a popular breed (like a golden), we have so many people who want the dog that people get irked - as if it is our fault that everyone and their mother wants this same dog, but no one wants the cute 8 year old mixed breed in the next kennel down... or even the 10 month old pittie mix. Not everyone is born beautiful :(

I read the article you posted, and I find it astonishing - while some rescues have found what works for them and what doesn't, most of the time having those kind of hard and fast rules is just eliminating nice homes. I think that actual animal shelters with physical buildings are less likely to pull that crap. But it depends on the specific rescue. The sad thing about that article I think, are the number of people saying "oh this one rescue was difficult, so we bought one instead." Why not try at least one other rescue / shelter first? Not all are the same.

Especially the family with the guinea pig - many shelters are overflowing with little critters since they are so easy to buy from a store. When we are doing adoptions for those guys, it is just a matter of explaining to people that the reason we get the majority of our pocket pets is because the kids weren't taking care of the animal and the adults didn't want to - and the adult needs to expect that is going to be the case, whether it is a month or a year down the road. As long as the adult knows and accepts responsibility for caring for the animal when the kid is too busy, by all means adopt.

We actually recently changed our adoption contracts - it used to state, as the ones indicated do, that the animal was still "ours" and such. Not that we ever went and checked on animals (without a specific complaint) or confiscated anyone, but it is nice to have an out in the case of a real sketchy situation. It was more in the case that someone couldn't keep the animal, that it would be brought back to us to find a new home. Now, it has been totally changed to state that the new owner is taking responsibility for the animal, and we are not liable for any medical issues that come up down the road or damage that may be done by the animal (since people try to sue for anything nowadays). It does still state that if an animal has a rightful owner who comes forward (in the case of a stray cat or something) that we would need to return her to such, which thankfully hasn't come up in the time I've been there although it is a possibility. Otherwise, you own and are responsible for the animal. You can bring the animal back if necessary, or if you can find a good home you can do that too.

And actually, we have had multiple people say that we were easier than this or that rescue they tried. And we have had many people say that there is more to it than adopting a kid - always when we are going over all the medical everything that was done.

Last edited:

Thyra

Superstar Fish
Jun 2, 2010
Yelm, WA
Sounds like your rescue place would be what I am looking for but I have struck out at least 6 times on Petfinders and so far they have all had basically the same contract. One of the other things is they want you to come and visit the dog, then they will check you out and see if you qualify, you can't just take the dog with you if you decide its the right dog - this week end we drove 300 miles to see a dog that turned out not to be there, but even if he had been we would have had to go back after they checked us out - another 300 miles. Another place said they were going to e-mail me some pictures of some dogs I might want to consider -its over two weeks and that still hasn't happened. Some of the dogs aren't even here, they are in other states like Texas and Georgia. I haven't gotten into that so I don't know how that works. I am just looking for a medium sized mutt - sort of a farm dog. I'll know him/her when I see them. I am appalled at the number of pitbulls and chihuahuas available. I have nothing against pit bulls, but convincing the surrounding neighbors might be difficult.

Thyra

Superstar Fish
Jun 2, 2010
Yelm, WA
Yes - thanks OC, but they had nothing I wanted. I am continuing my search - hourly. My biggest concern is getting the right fit for our current dog and cat - I don't want to displace them in the process.

Feb 27, 2009
Perhaps volunteering as a foster home for an organization? It's a good way to 'try out' a dog to see if its a good fit or not. That is how I've added 2 cats to my initial 1. I fostered 8 in the process, so 6 were not 'good fits' for us.

Thyra

Superstar Fish
Jun 2, 2010
Yelm, WA
I am not a good candidate as a foster parent - I get too attached and I couldn't keep them all, otherwise it would be a good idea. Now that I have been monitoring Craig's list in about a 150 mile radius, I am learning, sadly, - probably why I feel depressed about it all. You can't win - if you advertise your pups and follow the rules and just charge a small rehoming fee, someone will buy the whole litter and than "flip" them at 4X what they paid. All a person has to do is pick a name for themselves as a "rescue" place and it sound legitimate, but then the pick up the free or low cost dogs or even the lost ones and resell them. I have been perusing the ads about every half hour and I will see ads that are on for an hour and gone - I found one last Sunday that way and it had 5 of the cutest pups I had seen. I called and he wanted $50 and I was excited, but it was 9pm and at least 40 miles to where he lived. With in an hour the ad was no longer there. I think I would recognize one of the pups and I am waiting to see if someone else tries to sell it. What a racket, but I guess if you wanted to double, triple or even more your money: it would be more of a sure thing than gambling.

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
That is actually pretty disgusting, flipping pets for cash. Although to be fair, if people are spending $100+ on a mixed puppy with no vaccines, then I guess that says something itself.