cracked tank help !

Oct 26, 2010
Hiya all

Just wondering if there is anyone else out there who has experienced a cracked tank before? Ours cracked and flooded our dining room and lounge yes complete nightmare. The insurance company want me to prove that a glass tank can crack without any impact from any object, I wasnt even in the house when it happened lucky for my fish I left work to work from home finding my down stairs flooded, sockets blown and the fish in about 10 cm depth of water. I lost one fish, one crab and a shrimp so all in all not bad. Apart from my carpets and solid oak woodern floor.
So guys anyone else experienced this or similar? help needed please *twirlysmi

alicia pollard

arcab4

The Big Fish
The Big Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Sunny Southern California
hi,

moving your thread to it's proper location. hopefully someone can help you out. sorry to hear about the cracked tank...but i've heard of tanks leaking from the seams...if you can post how the crack looked, i'm sure someone will have a better solution.

marvin

Large Fish
Jul 7, 2007
florida
cracked tank @ arcab4

"moving your thread to it's proper location." nice coment arcab4
Administrator next time tell the person where that location might be... my sugestion depending on crack and your need need for beauty epoxie resen***

skjl47

Large Fish
Nov 13, 2010
Northeastern Tennessee.
Cracked tanks over time

Hello; Two episodes come to mind in my experience. I lost a 125 + gallon homemade tank and a 55 gallon. The 55 was set up in my living room. I came home from a weekend trip to find water on the floor in the basement garage. Upstairs I found a 55 gal tank nearly empty. The glass didn't crack, but had separated along a corner. The silicone had failed. Some carpet and wooded floor damage.
The 125 was DIY tank with an angle iron frame and plate glass. It was several years old and had survived a move from a different house. It was a setup that had been going for at least two years with no problems. I looked one day to see a crack running from the top to the bottom at the center of the back pane of glass. There was a metal brace built onto the top of the angle iron frame running from front to back at the center of the tank to keep the frame from bowing out. The brace was secured onto the frame with small threaded bolt at each end. It was a regular steel bolt, not stainless steel. Over several years rust had formed on the bolt eventually bridging the small gap to the glass. The pressure from the expansion of the rust cracked the glass. The 125 was in the basement on a concrete floor so there was no damage to the house. I never discovered why the 55 failed. The lesson is that eventually water will get out of an aquarium somehow. I no longer setup a tank on a wooden floor without precautions. In my new place I took up the carpet along the wall out about four feet. I put down 1 sq ft vinyl tiles in the area where I plan to put a few tanks. An L shaped area at the corner of the room. I ran a bead of silicone along the edge of each tile as it was placed. I found some 1/2 inch plastic quarter round at Lowe's and siliconed this down around the boundary of the tiled area. In the corner there was already a hole for a TV cable. I enlarged it to 3/4 inch and sealed the edges of the hole. The plan is to give water a path down thru the hole in the floor and maybe prevent floor and carpet damage.
I was in pet store last night and noticed they have rubber flooring in front of their wall of tanks. I plan to dedicate a room of the new place as an aquarium room. I may put a rubber floor down. Just a thought.