Cory

temull2

Small Fish
Apr 28, 2009
I bought a spotted Cory (sorry for the unofficial name, lol) because my friend had one in her tank and I thought it was the cutest thing ever. So I got one, but I noticed that hers actually swims up to the top to eat the flakes, bloodworms, and such... but mine never seems to notice. I know they're supposed to be bottom feeders, but the little guy's been in there for a few days and I have never seen him eat anything! Is this normal?

temull2

Small Fish
Apr 28, 2009
He's still alive and kicking! I still never seem him eat from the top... but I guess he always picks up what the other fish leave behind... :) I'll probably get him some buddies to play with soon.

temull2

Small Fish
Apr 28, 2009
there's tons of algae in my tank.. I was actually considering getting a pleco bc it keeps cropping up... should I just leave it for the cory?

Cories aren't very good algae eaters. You definitely don't want a pleco because most species will get too large for your tank.

A good solution would be to return the cory (since you don't have room for more) and get 3-4 otos. They clean up algae and don't procude a lot of waste. However, this would not solve your algae problem. Check why you have algae in the first place...too much light, etc. But otos would be nice to have. :)

beckyd

Large Fish
Mar 16, 2009
Cories not only aren't the best algae controllers, they aren't herbivores. You need to drop in bottom dwelling shrimp pellets for them, not algae wafers. They will eat it, but they need the shrimp.
I agree with kissyboots about skipping the pleco. I took one that had outgrown a friend's tank. He lives with our turtle. Turtle tanks get alot of algae. Its still not enough for him, he still needs algae wafers and he's huge- about 11 inches long. That's alot of algae eater. And he's a pooping machine.
Control your algae by getting your water quality under control and get your cory some friends. Mine spawned and despite me not taking the eggs out, a few survivied. I now have two cory babies. Talk about cute! I love my cories, but you can't count on them to clean up the algae. They help clean up left over food instead.