Convicts spawning

riddlephil

Medium Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Does anyone know how often convicts spawn?  I just got mine 5 days ago and they are already laying eggs

jinx

Small Fish
Oct 22, 2002
I had convicts before and bought a pair just to see how easy it was to breed...  :eek: I was in for a surprise.... They spawned in a 20 gallon tank I had just setup for them. 3 weeks from the day I put them in I went to change the water and they kept attacking my hands I didn't figure it out until I moved the rocks they seemed to be defending. About 30-40 fry swimming around. I then deicided to put the parents in the big tank with the rest of my fish (africans) and a week later they started to defend a small portion of that tank.... Low and behold eggs again !! So I decided may the strong survive or become big enough for me to put in the 20 with the rest of their brothers and sisters. Enough time passed and about 10-15 outta maybe 30 made it. But to my surprise the to adult fish were already defending that same rocky area as soon as they fry got big enough. To make a long long story short it seems that if you get a pair that mate they'll keep going as long as you let them .... I ended up selling about 20 convicts to my local fish store and offering my friends the rest about 30-35. I still have 1 that I could never catch in my tank.