:confused: snail breed?:confused:

:confused: can anyone help me identify the breed of my snail i just got it from when i bought one of my plants. I really need to figure out what type it is because i think they (i have 2) have been laying eggs everywhere! *pictures included* sorry there not that good.

Attachments

MissFishy

Superstar Fish
Aug 10, 2006
Michigan
Looks like probably common pond snails, they are the most common with plants. They breed quickly, make sure you aren't overfeeding your tank so they don't get out of control

they look sorta like that picture but they dont have that much of a pattern they are just really dark and i see a TON of egg things alll over the tank any idea what to do if they hatch or how to get rid of the eggs or if my fish would eat them or do cichlids eat them somehow i already "threw away" 8 a while ago when they started breeding i dont want to do that again

PS. sorry about the pics i have a bad zoom

MissFishy

Superstar Fish
Aug 10, 2006
Michigan
Remove as many snails and eggs as you can find, in the meantime, I would suggest drastically cutting back on feeding. Make sure no food ever lies on the bottom of the tank, just put in enough for the fish to eat within a minute or so, and then only every 2 days. If the snails have any food source they will breed very very quickly and can easily get out of hand. Good luck!

alter40

Superstar Fish
Nov 26, 2007
Charlotte, NC
Pond snails crush easily. If they are against the glass you can easily take your finger and press them against the glass to crush them. I'm not sure if any of your fish will eat these them though but if the snails are small enough they might try.

jen0910

Large Fish
Mar 22, 2007
Savoy, MA/Western PA
My betta eats live snails, he seems to suck the body out of the shell and leaves the empty shells. I've saw him eat one that was about the size of a medium pea. You could put some in for your cichlids and see if they like them, if you drop them into the tank(rather then placing them on a plant or the bottom) they might be more likely to think that they are food.

iapetus

Large Fish
Jan 15, 2008
34:09:39N, 118:08:19W
hmmm ill try it when the babies get bigger cus the adults are too big how big are yours that you give your cichlid?
Someone in my 10G has taken a liking to the pond snails that inhabit it. I know this because I see empty snail shells whenever I do a water change on that tank. My current thinking is that it's my ghost shrimp. Maybe yours will take a liking to pond snails, too. Whoever is eating them is definitely keeping the population in check, which is good because I like a healthy, checked pond snail population in my tank. :)