Confused on PH for Arowana

Jeanna

Large Fish
Jul 15, 2004
Visit site
Hi, I really need some help here....
First of all, i am setting up my 65gal. (with well water). And my plan is to put an Arowana that I have on hold from the fish store. He's gotta be at least 7-8 inches. O.k, here's where the confusing part for me is... I used to have an Arowana, and he was in my 55gal tank, he was doing just fine until he jumped out. I had him for maybe a month or so. Then I went back to get another one. He was about 6-7 inches. I brought him home, put him in my tank(which by the way, had Brachardi eggs in it) And he died 3 days later. I called the FS and told them, they said bring him back with a water sample. I did. They said my PH balance was off the charts. First of all, how could it be that high when the Brachardi had eggs that hatched and the babies are doing great? Then they told me to put some Proper PH 7.5 in the tank, and then I could buy another one from them. I asked them if I could test their water., and the guy said no because I'll never be able to get it the same as mine.:confused: So, now I'm about to go buy this $40.00 Arowana again, and I'm not sure how to get the water the same as theirs at the store. I thought that Arowana's need higher PH, and how could the first Arowana live when the PH hasn't changed?
It's so crazy to me because we've had fish for many years, and NEVER used chemicals or tested our tanks. We never had problems, so we did'nt need to do any of that, til now. That's why I'm so confused on how to deal with this. I live in a very small town with only that 1 FS besides Walmarts, and I'm not even gonna go there. Does it seem like the FS is trying to scam me? And should I put that crap in my tank? If I do, what about the fish that I have now that are in higher PH. but want to maybe put them in the 65gal.? Would that be too much of a shock to them to be put in a PH that is 7.5?
I hope my questions are clear, and maybe somebody could help me?????:confused:
Thanx, Jeanna

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
OK first of all...the fish store you're working with is shoving a load of fish poo into your head.

It sounds like the biggest problem is that the store changes their pH/Hardness and you dont. When you buy fish from them...you need to make sure and acclimate them carefully. Check out this thread for some more hints... http://www.myfishtank.net/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=19170

You do NOT need to adjust your pH. Why dont you check out this thread... http://www.myfishtank.net/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=5935 there are a lot of informative posts in it.

IMO you should read around on the board and do some more research on the fish you have and the fish you want etc. I've never had an arrowana, but I do know that they grow pretty quickly and can easily get to 3 feet long...and I dont know that a 65 is going to be large enough.

Jeanna

Large Fish
Jul 15, 2004
Visit site
Thanks alot (again) for the sites. I just think that the store is ripping me off, but I want that Arowanna so stinking bad. Anyways, I really think I'm gonna check their water if they like it or not.... And if not, I won't buy the fish :( .
Thank agin for the reply and sites, I really appreciate it.
Jeanna

Orion

Ultimate Fish
Feb 10, 2003
Kentucky
www.thefishcave.net
Agreed. It does sound like they are just tring to get more money from you. You really do not need to mess with your Ph at all. I would however buy a test kit. This way you can know a little more about what they say when they say 'your ph is off the charts'. IMO sounds like they just didnt want to give you another $40 fish.

I tried the properph stuff a while back to see how well the stuff would actualy work. Not much to my surprise, it didnt do well at all. It brought the PH close to what it would say, but in a mear few days it was back to what it normaly is. There is no need to adjust your Ph to the fish stores, or to anything else. So long as the fish acclimate right, you really shouldnt have any problems with it.

And as tempting as it may be to buy another one, they do grow to large for that tank. Also as they grow, they will eat anyother fish that they think they might be able to fit into there mouth. So before you know it, it might be the only fish left in there.

Good luck and keep us updated.

Purple

Superstar Fish
Oct 31, 2003
Hampshire UK
Visit site
Buy one guppy (or whatever is cheapest) from the LFS - then test the water it comes in. Then you'll know their PH. They probably told you a whole load of bull just to get out of a refund.

I know you are gagging for that Arrow - but if the store is that bad, do you really want to risk it ? I'm not sure you should trust them to sell you a healthy fish this time round - and you already know what their return policy is like.

Jeanna

Large Fish
Jul 15, 2004
Visit site
Yep, they did give me a bunch of crap when I brought in my water. Before I knew it, the guy was back with a little pink test strip, which I hear are NOT reliable. I didn't see where he even tested it. I have a real PH test kit, with the tube that you put the water in. It just sucks because I spent all this time and money getting this 65gal tank ready just for the Arrowana, moving all my tanks around to make room, and now I'm not sure if I want to get it. But if I do, I'm gonna test their water right in the store. Yes, I know Arrowana's get real big fast. I've had them before.
It's hard for me to believe they would try to rip me off, I've spent lots of money with all of my 5 tanks, my son's tanks and now I got my mom hooked and she has 2 tanks already. So needless to say, I'm spending tons of money there, why would somebody want to piss somebody off that's spending lots of money in their store?
Anyways, thanx for all the replies and suggestions, you all are great.
Jeanna