Companions for betta fish ...snail proof plants?

May 11, 2012
Southeast, US
Hi everyone, I have two bettas, one is in a 40 gallon lightly planted tank with several large rocks, and the other is in a 6.6 gallon bookshelf tank with the same set up as the 40 gallon. With the exception of (an explosion) of snails, they are essentially alone. Would anyone be willing to recommend some tank mates for these little guys and some plants that are snail proof? Thanks in advance.

Thyra

Superstar Fish
Jun 2, 2010
Yelm, WA
IME Platies, otos, and neons work well with bettas. In your 40g mollies would also work. I do have an angel in with a male betta with no problems for the past year. I feel it is important to not over stock and have some floating type plants - I use fake and anchor them with corks or on the hood for the betta to rest. My bettas seem to swim with the platies and mollies and I find they actually seem to do better than when alone, BUT it does depend on the betta, they are very shy at first until they get use to all that room because most are cup babies. The ones I have had haven't been territorial at all, but I do realize there is always a first time.

May 11, 2012
Southeast, US
IME Platies, otos, and neons work well with bettas. In your 40g mollies would also work. I do have an angel in with a male betta with no problems for the past year. I feel it is important to not over stock and have some floating type plants - I use fake and anchor them with corks or on the hood for the betta to rest. My bettas seem to swim with the platies and mollies and I find they actually seem to do better than when alone, BUT it does depend on the betta, they are very shy at first until they get use to all that room because most are cup babies. The ones I have had haven't been territorial at all, but I do realize there is always a first time.
Hi,
Thanks for the info. I don't know too much about angel fish or any actually. I have had my tanks for about a year- bought for the bettas- and has been a learning experience, but I think have the basics down. Isn't it sad how the myth that bettas are happy to live in small spaces is so accepted. The like lots of space too!
Back to Betta companions,I 'm with you, I def. don't want to overstock. Just a few other fish to add some companionship and perhaps enrichment. Are angel fish hard to care for? I don't want to kill them due to ignorance... also, I don't want excess fish so no breeding. Will two of the same sex get along? Thanks again.

lauraf

Superstar Fish
Jan 1, 2010
Vancouver, British Columbia
You can't sex angels until they start to breed, so it's a bit of a crapshoot if you get more than one. I've had multiple angels in a tank with no issues as well as ones that paired off and spawned repeatedly. You can either get one, or get a couple and be prepared to rehome one if they do spawn. It's not so much that you may end up with excess spawn, but that the angels get nasty to other tankmates when they are breeding.
Angels aren't any more difficult to care for than other fish - read: water quality is a must for all - and you can have one alone just fine.