Combination Canopy

Vergil

New Fish
Dec 9, 2002
Texas
Visit site
I have a couple of questions about a DIY canopy I want to make. I'd like to make it a combination PC/MH canopy. It is a 4' X 18" top and I plan on putting 4 X 55W PC's in two rows front and back. Then I'd like the option to add metal halides at a later date in the center between the two PC rows. I've seen hoods like this on reef tanks and like the flexibility this creates. Problem #1: The metal halides require more space above the water. I've heard 6" is sufficient, but that would put my PC's a good 30" above the bottom of the tank! I am thinking I will have to drop a tier for the PC's, but I was wondering if anyone else had this type of setup. Problem #2: I don't think this setup would work on type of a glass canopy for obvious reasons (heat, space, etc.) and I am expecting to have to put in fans for the MH's. In any case, are there any problems with the PC kits from AH Supply as far as condensation from a canopy without a glass top, and how much ventilation is necessary with just the PC's? I'm sure the answer will be "you'll have to play it by ear" because of all of the variables (ie. heat, space, equipment, condensation, ease of access, etc.) but any pointers would be appreciated.

Somonas

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
O-town
www.myfishtank.net
You're right. "you'll have to play it by ear"
I have 4 regular n.o. fluorescents about 2 inches over water, but they are not MH
I would try to shield them somehow ? I don't know. why not put a sliding glass cover on the tank.
as for your powercompacts not touching the bottom of the tank I assume this is a 24" high tank right?

Or just save a hell of a lot of work and go here http://www.hamiltontechnology.com/s...61&PHPSESSID=b44c6774e39edc07a687f2cd241fe152

Last edited:

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
I think you'll have hassles making this 2 tier for the mh and pc. Better to make it 1 tier - I'm not sure how much light intensity you'll lose in 6 inches of air, but I don't think it's much.
My answer(s) would be , look at commercial hoods, homemade hoods that you know work and ask at other sites with lots of reefkeepers (aquaria central...., wetwebmedia). I have a feeling you're well on the way though