Coating gravel

Oct 22, 2002
Edmonton
photos.yahoo.com
Gravel in petstores are coated with some kind of resin. I was wondering if I could do the same. The reason is that that gravel I currently have is not coated and is increasing the hardness. While that nesseccarily is not a bad thing, I like keeping all my tanks the same water parameters. My other 3 tanks are bb. Just curious.

Another reason I ask is buy gravel for a 90G from a petstore gets pricey. For a 2" cover, it would cost me around $200 (Cdn that is). Therefore I thought about coating it myself. I cant be that difficult.

Any concerns/suggestions or anyone that has already done this?

Thanks!

colesea

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
NY USA
Most gravel reccomendations "rule of thumb" is 2 lbs of gravel for every gallon of tank. That should give you a one to two inch depth.

As far as coating your gravel, if it is increasing your pH you probably have a crush coral or coral sand gravel in your tank. Get rid of it. It is not appropriate for freshwater tanks except African Rift Cichlids.  I think coating it would probably be a waste of your time and money.

You could find cheaper gravel at landscape supply companies and quaries.  Look for quartz gravel (pea stone) or for silica sands.  Heck, you could probably go to the beach and dig up your own sand, you would just have to wash it and bleach it clean (which is something you should do to store bought gravel before it goes in your tank anyway).

Home Depot or Lowes also has playbox sand that from what I understand is aquarium safe and also cheaper.
~~Colesea