Co2

murray

Small Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Hi,

I'm just about to set up a 3foot tank for the first time and would like lots of lush plant growth. Do I really need to add Co2 or can I get by without it ??? Also can anyone suggest some hardy plants for me to begin with.

cheers

scrimman

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
www.caprok.net
It really depends how much light you're going to be using, but pretty much all live plant tanks could use it.  You can tell the difference.
How much light is going to be on your tank?  How many watts? ???

murray

Small Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Hi guys,
Firstly, thanks for the replies. This is not my first ever foray into fish keeping, however I haven't had a tank for 10 years or so...and it seems that the knowledge base, and technology, have advanced quite a bit in that time. A decade ago, here in Sydney, Australia we hadn't even heard of Co2 injection (or at least I hadn't.)

I plan to use two 3 foot fluorescent tubes over the tank...not sure of the wattage. Is this practical ??

Out here all the hardware costs about twice what it does in the US so I'd prefer not to overcapitalize on my setup. Having said that I also want to make sure that the fish and plants have every chance to reach their full potential. Am I making sense ??

So on to the Co2...If I really need it I'll get it, but it'll have to be a commercial system. My job takes me out of town for a few weeks at a time and my girlfriend, while happy to sprinkle a few fish flakes in each day, is a little reluctant to take responsibility for home made Co2 generation. Can't say I blame her.

So finally...any suggestions for plants, or ideas in general will be greatly appreciated...I think I'll be needing all the help I can get with this one.

Thanks again.
cheers,
Murray

ryanp15

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Kentucky
I think kitten will be happy to hear that there's another australian on the board. ;D

To your question. I think you need to first know that your tank needs to be cycled if you don't know what that is start a thread in the general discussion. To the lights that sounds fine to me. I have just recently started plants and they are doing great. I don't use CO2 in my tank either. I have some plants that are very hardy though. My major plant is giant hydrophyllia. It's doing great in there. The others I'm not sure what they are. Sorry. One other kind of plant that you can definitely grow withour CO2 or anything is Java fren and Java moss. I have had trouble finding both but maybe you'll have better luck. ;D I think maybe you should try some post in the general discussion to answer some of your questions about fish and stuff. I would start there and ask anything you want to know. Hope I could help. ;D

Oct 22, 2002
I'm also using CO2 injector, because my plants were getting brown, i use 40 watts in a 35 G tanks, is this enought?, the tank gets some light during the day, not directly but the room where it is, is iluminated by the sun, i have heard that it should be 2 watts per gallon. but this appreciation includes the help from the sun?...
also , if i put more light bulbs, there will be an increment on the water temperature, or not?, these could be bad, beacuse the temp in my tanks is over 27 C without a heater at this moment...

scrimman

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
www.caprok.net
‘Lo Murray, and welcome
Yeah, being closer to Java like you are you shouldn’t have any problems getting Java Fern or Moss, but if you go over there, be careful.  I understand they’re not real happy with life right now. :-/
I don’t know what to tell you about your lighting.  I’ve never seen a 3’ tube, or tank, for that matter.  (Not a surprise for down here) My SWAG is you’ve got 1.5 to 2 watts per gallon, which is low to medium light strength.  Just aim for plants that can handle that.  My own recommendations are Java Moss, Java Fern, Annubias, and maybe a crypt or two.  All of them can handle low light if that’s what it really works out to, and just seem to grow better in the med light strength.  Amazon swords would work, too, but they can get BIG.  Anacharis is a fast growing alge killer that would work, too.
At low light you don’t really need CO2, but the plants would do better with it anyway.  With medium light, you might be fighting algae more often than you’d like.  My own DIY rig gets filled every 2 weeks.  Actually, if you’re like any of the other beer-killing Aussies I’ve met (they were sailors) you could do the home-brew beer thing and have the waste gas from the brewing process dump to the tank.  Do ‘ya think she’d mind helping with that?  Just a thought……;);D 8)  

scrimman

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
www.caprok.net
‘Lo HM
Yeah, my clover grows better where the sun gets it more, but it’s awfully hard to judge sun wattage.  
What kinds of stuff are you growing?  1watt/gal isn’t that much.  Are you using florescent or incandescent lighting?  I’ve got 160watts total over my 55gal, and it only raises the temp to 2 or 3 degrees Fahrenheit above ambient.
8)

Oct 22, 2002
I have 3 diferente types of plants, most common in monterrey,mexico aquariums....  i think they are cabomba, tape grass (Val), and elodea...  they look good, but they star to have brown spots wintin 3 weeks...  i cut those is that OK?

Oct 22, 2002
ohh, and the temp in my tank is not that high beacause of my light bulbs (flouresent), is beacause of the environmental temp, that raises over 40 C in the summer, and i read in the discussion of summer temps, that to turn off the lights will decrease a little the temp, but what to do in a planted tank...?

how do you get 150 watts, the most common light bulbs here are the 20 watts you can find 40 watts lamps only in total home (mexican home depot), do you use several of that type or how do you get 150 watts?...

i bought a tank cover with two biolux light bulbs, and they are 20 watts each for a 35 G tank, it seems bright enought for humans at least, should i change them...?

scrimman

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
www.caprok.net
'Lo again, HM
Yeah, I understand the environmental bit; I live not too far from you.  Cold water fish don't do too good around here, do they?  I don't even bother with a heater, either.
Why replace the bulbs? Are they over a year old?
I wonder why you're getting brown spots on your plants.  You might want to up the wattage, but I can't really say without seeing the plants, and I don't know anything about vals to begin with. Maybe they need fertilizer/trace elements?
Yes, I've got a bank of 4 40watt bulbs over the 55 (2 shop lights worth).  I might have done a little overkill, though.  I'm having algea problems right now, but luckily just on the plants and not in the water.  I dumped 5 otto cats in last night to try to catch up.

murray

Small Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Hi all,
Just a quick thank you to everyone who took the trouble to post replies. I particularly liked scrimman's suggestion to get my Co2 from a beer brew...in fact maybe I'll get the home brew going and forget about the fish tank all together. But seriously...I'm sure I'll have more questions as time goes by so you probably haven't heard the last of me. One last question for now though...I gather that the cycling thing only matters to the fish and that I can put the plants in from day one...am I right ???

ryanp15

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Kentucky
Yes I like the beer brewing thing too! I'm gonna have to try that. I'd be cheaper. ;D

Back to the question. I don't know what to say about the cycling and the plants. I put mine in after it was cycled but I'm not sure if they can go without cycling. Someone else will know. I'm new to the plants. ;D

murray

Small Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Here's another one on the Co2 for you guys. Sure the plants are going to love it but is there a risk of achieving a concentration that is damaging to the fish ? How much can they tolerate????

[quote author=scrimman link=board=aquaticplants&num=991026193&start=0#6 date=05/30/01 at 09:52:47]
Actually, if you’re like any of the other beer-killing Aussies I’ve met (they were sailors) you could do the home-brew beer thing and have the waste gas from the brewing process dump to the tank.
[/quote]

I have the same tank situation as you, 160 watts over a 55 gallon and I was thinking of adding a DIY CO2 injector. I guess I have the best luck in the world because my parents' hobby is home-brewing! Are you sure that using the waste CO2 from the beer won't hurt the fish? Do you know anyone who's tried this?

ryanp15

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Kentucky
I wish my parents did some home brewing in our house! That would be less expensive. ;D And more fun. :D Homemade beer. ;D

I think your probably right on the plants speeding up the process like you said. I did some research and that's what on thing said. ;D