CO2 by Electrolysis

R

ronrca

Does anyone have experience with it or know anything about it? I would like to buy a C02 system from Monster Maine for about $700Cdn where I can buy a CARBO-PLUS CO2 SYSTEM from Big AL's for $350Cdn. Big difference but is it worth it!

dattack

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Co2 by Electrolysis works well in small tanks (usually less than 55 gallons).  Other people have claimed that it doesn't produce enough CO2 for larger tanks.  There were a couple on sale on Ebay for 60-70$ U.S. dollars recently.  The seller claimed that it didn't produce enough CO2 for his large tanks.

It does look convenient to have one but the Co2 cylinder method will probably cost less money in the long run because people do spend a significant amount of replacment carbon blocks for the CO2.  I think someone on this board did buy one though.

R

ronrca

I think that I will stay wil C02 injection instead of the electrolysis. I read that you should change the carbon block every 4-7 months. On my 90G, most likely every 4 or less months. The replacement block costs $70! Doing the math: 12months divided by 4 is 3x that I would have to buy a block. Thats then 3 x 70 = $210. I could almost buy a C02 injection. The C02 tanks to refill cost around $1/G therefore a 10G tank costs $10. If I have to refill it 4x in a year, thats only $40, difference of $170. Hmmmm, what do you think?

sjogren1

Medium Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Pennsylvania, USA
Speaking of small tanks, what are your opinions on using a Bioplast Nutriflex CO2 System in a 29 gal., moderately planted with fish (full, but not overstocked)? I saw one for around $35.00 US at AZgardens.com with additional straight CO tablets ($9.35), CO2 + FE II, CO2 + K, or CO2 + Mn at $9.55 US.

dattack

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Sorry no experience using the Bioplast system.  But you might want to check what other people think.  I believe aquabotanics is selling this product too and the store owner has written a few articles on this site.  I actually contacted Robert at his site and he doesn't carry it anymore but he says the system is more convenient but less effective than the yeast method.  He does carry a new item that maximizes the yeast Co2 method and it is made by plantguild.  Also, I told him that arizona aquatics advertise the Bioplast for $35 and last year he had it for $25.  He says he will sell it for $25 for the system if you call him up.  Check out his site and talk to him.  He knows a lot about plants and CO2 and he also supposedly sells quality plants (although higher than other online sites).

http://www.aquabotanic.com/CO2page.html

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&threadm=MPG.118359cdf8f7db849896ae%40news.xmission.com&rnum=1&prev=/groups%3Fq%3DBioplast%2BNutriflex%2BCO2%2BSystem%2B%26
hl%3Den%26btnG%3DGoogle%2BSearch%26meta%3Dgroup%253Drec.aquaria.freshwater.plant
s

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&threadm=38A21F04.6692D98%40mediaone.net&rnum=1&prev=/groups%3Fq%3DBioplast%2B%2B%2BCO2%2B%2B%26hl%3Den%26btnG%3DGoogle%2BS
earch%26meta%3Dgroup%253Drec.aquaria.freshwater.plants

R

ronrca

Im not sure about Bioplast system with tablets and have not heard anything about it. You might want to check out www.thekrib.com

R

ronrca

This is something I found on thekrib:

">I Have just recently set up a 200l planted aquarium. I have based it loosely
>on the Dennerle system, but I'm not sure what type of CO2 system to use. At
>present I've got one of the new Bioplast CO2 generators and tablets which
>offer a very cheap way to put CO2 into your tank (£11.50) but I wonder if
>this cheap system is any good compared to a normal CO2 gas cylinder system.
>Has anyone got any thoughts, facts or ideas on the pros and cons of these
>two systems ??
>
>Thanks in advance Neil Bedford

Neil,

I tried those tablets and they were awful. Every time I used them, the
water turned milky, the pH didn't shift and the plants didn't do any
better. In my experience the whole system was a total waste of money.

I then switch to a DIY (yeast) CO2 system and got instant results.
Within a couple of hours of putting it into the tank, I had streams of
bubbles from the plants and lovely clear water. I used the Bioplast box
as a CO2 diffuser. I plugged the CO2 into the top of it and put it on an
angle next to my filter outlet so that the water flows down the bit
where you are supposed to drop the tablet and past the water/CO2
interface. This keeps the water moving past the interface, ensuring a
good mix of CO2 rich water around the tank.

Whole DIY set up cost me pennies. I would go down this route if I were
you. I have had excellent results."