clown fish

kevinrs

Small Fish
Sep 14, 2004
Visit site
my clown fish was jumping out of the water and hiting the tank cover, and when i looked at him he had a layer of slime on him, and in the morning he was dead, what was the slime? could the coral have created a slime, cause he was attacking the coral and biting it? please help me, i need to know y he died. Also, can clown fish live with out an anemone?

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
clownfish can live without an anemone...your tank sounds very unhealthy...probably because it is totally overstocked. i think its time to return some fish to the store...most fish have a thin slime coating so that is pretty normal...what kind of coral was it? "Coral" is very generic and the biochemical warfare abilities of coral vary greatly

kevinrs

Small Fish
Sep 14, 2004
Visit site
a fragment of Torch Coral-Yellow (Euphyllia glabrescens)
Plate Coral-Long Tentacle (Heliofungia actiniformis)
and a fragment of Bubble Coral (Plerogyra sinuosa)
the clown fish had a slime that was visible, almost like a plastic bag over the front half of him

kevinrs

Small Fish
Sep 14, 2004
Visit site
a fragment of Torch Coral-Yellow (Euphyllia glabrescens)
Plate Coral-Long Tentacle (Heliofungia actiniformis)
and a fragment of Bubble Coral (Plerogyra sinuosa)
the clown fish had a slime that was visible, almost like a plastic bag over the front half of him

S.Reef

Superstar Fish
Dec 1, 2003
Michigan
Clownfish can live in 2 of the 3 corals you mentioned. Have you had any temperature flucuations lately? Fish are very sensitive to changes in temperature. What you are describing sounds like Marine Velvet or Brookleyn Disease. If your clown was breathing rapidly im sure one of these was the cause.

DSK

Large Fish
Oct 12, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
only thing i know for sure is that when a clownfish bites at live rock it may be making a spot to drop baby but if only had one then that wouldnt apply it sound like you have really unhealthy water.

have you tested the levels or your water anytime near when it died that might help you out a little.