Clams and Mussels

derajer

Large Fish
Mar 16, 2005
Ankeny, Iowa
Does anyone here have freshwater Clams or Mussels in their tank? Or otherwise know anything about them?

I was considering buying some for my tank, I know that some of them have parasitic offspring, but which ones? Are any of them asexual? I have heard yes and no to almost every question I have about their reproduction. I think that they would be a very interesting addition to my tank, but I certainly don't want to add anything that's going to hurt my other creatures.

Any input at all would be helpful.

i was looking around on aquabid.com and one of the posts were selling clams and they said how they filter out stuff from the water and can also cure green water... but of course they probably say that so more people buy it but i know for sure they are filter feeders. If my lfs sold some i would give it a try but one time i saw on this website that they tried a lot of times to keep them but they kept dying after a few weeks or so...

derajer

Large Fish
Mar 16, 2005
Ankeny, Iowa
Various clam species die off in a tank very easily because there's not enough particulate matter in the water to eat. That's why they're so good at getting rid of green water, because they eat a ton. Mostly I need to know about their reproductive behavior. Many of them produce offspring that are parastitic to fish. I need to find out what I can get that isn't

Last edited:

derajer

Large Fish
Mar 16, 2005
Ankeny, Iowa
I'm mainly interested in them for their novelty. I have frogs, several types of shrimp, and occasionally some hydras in my tank. I love having creatures other than fish in my tank.