Chinese Algea eaters and cichlids???

Jul 30, 2009
In The "NO" lol
Are chinese algea eaters okay to keep with african cichlids. I have 3 small ones in a ten gallon tank that I am trying to get to grow... I want to put them in my african cichlid tank to keep the algea down.
What can I feed them so they will grow... they seem to grow really slow...???

Feb 13, 2006
Massachusetts
Fish don't grow fast. CAE aren't supposed to get very big.. Maybe you want a pleco?

From another site: "They grow up to 11 inches (27 cm). They are mature at 4.5 inches (12 cm). Personally we have seen them at 5 inches which is a surprisingly large fish, but we have never seen one approach 11 inches."

Last edited:
Lacie559...hope you don't mind be joining in on your thread but i was going to post the exact same thing about the CAE....re: what do they eat & how large they grow. getting conflicting info about their sizes. i'm curious...did they eat the zucchini slices you fed them?

i bought 3 of them 3 days ago & they have yet to eat. i've dropped them shrimp pellets & algae wafers & they are not eating it. i'm assuming they have to get use to their new surroundings. is that right anyone? i have very, very little algae. i told the LFS that but they said it was ok. i was also told by the LFS to put driftwood in the tank to help hair algae grow for them. i don't like driftwood.

Last edited:

Violet

Large Fish
Jan 24, 2004
Toronto, Canada
Visit site
As for the driftwood/hair algae thing, good idea, although driftwood can have it's own set of problems and until the algae grows, you still have to feed them. So if you don't want the driftwood, I wouldn't bother.