cherry barb aggression?

unwritten law

Superstar Fish
Sep 2, 2008
DC
that is what I meant.. Im getting some more hiding spots soon and stuff so maybe the b*tch barb will find a nice spot and feel more secure, allowing the rest to also be more chill.

MissFishy

Superstar Fish
Aug 10, 2006
Michigan
Whatever you decide to do, you can probably trade in your cherry barbs at the fish store (not a chain store) for more gold barbs if that is what you want. Please don't do something stupid and kill fish just because you don't want them.

unwritten law

Superstar Fish
Sep 2, 2008
DC
Whatever you decide to do, you can probably trade in your cherry barbs at the fish store (not a chain store) for more gold barbs if that is what you want. Please don't do something stupid and kill fish just because you don't want them.
Yeah theres a small pet store that Im going to check out and see if I can trade them in.

unwritten law

Superstar Fish
Sep 2, 2008
DC
So we decided to just restock our tank with TBs... The local store wont trade them from what I have now but they will adopt and probably give a discount. I think were gonna go with group of 6, which would be our absolute max. Probably 6 green, just cause the green ones are awesome

jo3olous

Large Fish
Aug 6, 2008
Philadelphia, PA
not really.. the cherries just need more vegetation/ hiding spots.
no.... the tiger barbs need good hiding spots to get away from each other (the agressors in the pack) and as a shoal they need room to swim (chase each other around). Tiger Barbs also get bigger than cherries (about 3 inches) It is recommended that you create open space in the front of your tank, and push the hiding places/rocks/plants in the back. I have a small shoal of TBs myself, and with the small numbers (5) the less aggressive ones need space from the bullies until they start shoaling together, but even then it's always good for them to have space from each other. Not sure where you got your information from that a shoal of barbs can pack in a 16G... I'd like to see/know who told you that works

Tiger Barb (Barbus tetrazona)

"6 Full grown tigers in 20L would be pushing it. And as Holeman mentioned, the bigger the group the better. I had started out with 10 in a 55g & lost 2 over a year later. I then added 12 more (though slightly smaller) & it was a very nice active tank. That said, I did use a regular 20g to grow out those new additions as much as possible first."

Last edited:

jo3olous

Large Fish
Aug 6, 2008
Philadelphia, PA
I found out my tank is really an 18 gallon. Which is a weird size but that's what it says on the box. And my tank is set up perfectly for tiger barbs so I'm just gonna do it.
the +3G does make a little difference, but it's the length of the tank that's important though. A perfect tank for barbs is a tank that is 3 feet long or more. I somehow do not believe your tank is 3 feet long, because my 20L is only 30 inches long, but do what you must