canister filter suggestions

dork187

Medium Fish
Oct 22, 2002
can anyone suggest some brands or models that are high quality and are easy to use and clean?
i am going to be setting up a 50 gallon and would like to invest in a nice canister filter
any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

AquaPsycho

Medium Fish
Oct 22, 2002
If you go on ebay you can actually get a nice eheim 2213 for cheaper than you can buy a fluval. I just got one on there brand new retail with media for $65 WITH shipping. Works great

catfish

Small Fish
Oct 22, 2002
I have a HOT Magnum 350 on my 55 gal salt and a Magnum 350 Pro on my 75 gal fresh.  I love them.  They are easy to change out the carbon and minimal maintenance.  Pull out the inside carbon holder, clean out are refill.  I got both with bio-wheels.

dattack

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
I have a fluval 303 and it has last me about 4 years already.  It is very reliable BUT it is a hassle changing the filter media for me.  Gotta seal the rim right or it will be no go.  
The aquaclear 300 is also good and cheap.  Bought it for <20$ and it is so easy to change media and add different media (like phosphguard) without problems.
I guess the Eheim is the best thing out there in terms of canister filters but a little costly.
But I was also thinking of investing or making my own wet/dry filter because that thing can really oxygenate your tank and you can add anything to the sump area like a heater with ease.  

R

ronrca

Id rather go with a Filstar XP-3 if you cant afford an Eheim. My lfs did not recommend Fluval. His reason was because of bi-pass were the eheims and Filstars are better. How does I guy tell though. Some people say the Fluval do not have any bi-pass where others do. Its like opening a can of worms. Anyhow, my Filstar works very good, very quite and easy to work with ie. cleaning, assembling, etc. but not the high price as eheim. Customer service is excellant not like Walmart (Ouch)! 8) Also see other topic Rena Filstar XP-3. Also the website: http://www.aquariumpharm.com/catalog/aquarium/rena/filstar/rexp3.htm

G

geoffgarcia (Guest)

Ditto on the filstar. For tanks abover 35 gallons its going to be filstar only for me...they are SO easy to work with no priming auto shutoff locks on it...can't beat them! For under 35, the HOT magnums are the way to go! I love my magnum 250 on my 15 gallon, what a wonder! and for only 20$ shipped! who can beat it!