canister and water surface

AquaPsycho

Medium Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Ok so I got a canister filter for my 30 gallon tank. My question is that now there is little to no disturbance of the surface of the water. My fish do not come to the top of the water to eat and the flakes do not seem to be breaking the surface tension and falling down. Am I missing someting here? Are there any cures to this problem with out taking the spraybar out of the water enough to create some disturbance? (because that is really loud and would have defeated the whole purpose of buying the canister filter)

R

ronrca

I bought a small submersiable pump for $25 that I put inside the tank about 1" below the surface. The pump sucks the water from the bottom and I have the output aimed at the surface therefore creating surface movement and no noise.

dork187

Medium Fish
Oct 22, 2002
reading this messager made me laugh
"wtf?"

a submersiable pump to create surface agitation...
i think a word was missing in that message but i got the message...
break the surface tensiuon with your fingers
call the fish to the top with some small movement...

AquaPsycho

Medium Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Isnt there some better way instead of having an ugly pump being connected to the back of the tank? I mean it looks ugly enough with the heater, powerhead and canister input/output.

BTW to make any sense at all the sentence would need at least 3 more words. =] I recently read an article about how peoples writing skills are really going down the toliet because of e-communications, where one thinks its ok to not reread what you have written or care about spelling errors.

Matt Nace

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Pennsylvania
I told arcab4 "I" Need a spell check..so don't make fun of me!!  ;)

Let me try a get this.  What canister do you have?

Most canisters have an flexable out that you can point to what direction you need it to come out. Is your pointing slightly up toward the surface?

Is the water surface moving right where the canister is letting out the water?

Is there a film on the surface that the flakes wont go through?

AquaPsycho

Medium Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Its an eheim 2213 and yes I have it pointed at the top of the water but if I point it too much then it sprays out the top of the surface and makes a lot of noise (much more than what the power filter was doing)I dont really think there is a film but its just the surface tension of the water. I readjusted it again last light and it appeared to be a little better this time without creating a lot of noise. I will feed them again when I get home from work and see if it helped.

JWright

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Snowy Upstate New York
www.cnytheater.com
Heh, funny you should metion that clotha. I use a very similar system to schedule water changes on my 45. Because of the climate here in Syracuse, evaporation is fairly slow. So place the spraybar just under the surface of the water and it takes about a week for the water to evaoporate to a point where the spraybar is exposed. When I hear the waterfall, it's time for a water change. :)

Josh

R

ronrca

I dont know what happened. I typed this " The pump s ucks the water from the bottom and I have the output aimed at the surface therefore creating surface movement and no noise." But for some reason it says "The pump not good the water..." It has nothing to do with my typing skills. I re-read my posts before I post usually not after. I think it had something to do with blocking where s ucks is one of the words.

I have the pump in the corner of the tank hidden with plants therefore you cant see it.

ryanp15

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Kentucky
I had that problem before too! I was talking about my pleco "sucking" up against the glass and it kept saying something like "my pleco not very good up against the glass" it was kinda funny though.

Aquapsycho another way to create surface movement is to get a simple power filter without the media and let it run. And just turn it off when it bothers you. That might help. If I were you I would get rid of the powerhead then if it looks ugly. They are really just big and not real great. That's just my opinion though. ;D