Can I keep a discus?

Feb 2, 2003
North Dakota
Well, I would really like to try to keep a discus but I/m not sure I have the right environment for one.

The tank I would keep a discus in is a 55g. With a Ebo Jager heater and a emporer 400 filter. It is a newly set-up tank and right now is cycling. A planted tank as well. the ph in all my aquariums is about 7.8 but none of them have CO2, the 55 does and I was hoping that would take it down.

The main thing I am worried about is the tank mates. Since I can not have the whole tank dedicated to discus b/c I already have guys that need to go in there, I was thinking if just one discus. The tank mates would be(what I have right now) I baby gold severum and a baby parrotfish. I was hopeing I could get some congo tetras and hatchet fish as well.

So, what do you think? I know its a little ify, but it might work right? or not?

-Joe-

Small Fish
Oct 22, 2002
www.geocities.com
If you wanted to do discus in that tank, or any tank for that matter, I would say to get at least 3-4 discus. They adjust well and are shoaling fish in the wild. Having one is just not quite right. I would say to just go with what you already have planned for it and use the extra tank space for something else. Plus, adult Discus require 10g a piece - so that would be pushing it anyway with the severum, parrot, congos, and hatchets. BTW how big is your severum?

Oct 22, 2002
Edmonton
photos.yahoo.com
Actually Amy you are partially correct! In a planted tank with adult discus, daily water changes are not necessary! However, let me emphasis and underline Adult! While it is possible to grow out baby discus in a planted tank, it is not necessarily recommended because baby discus require large water changes and excellant quality food to grow, something not really practical in a planted tank (frozen foods really make a mess in a planted tank).

I tend to agree with Joe however it is possible to have a lone discus. I have attempted it and it worked fine. However, Im not quite sure about the tankmates that you suggest.

-Joe-

Small Fish
Oct 22, 2002
www.geocities.com
Ok, suppose you did have the correct water parameters - with a baby severum that will grow out to 8"+ and a parrot one single discus would be a bad idea. You have to keep in mind that fish DO grow, and when they get bigger they require more tank space and they are alot more agressive if they've been in the tank and have already established territories. It IS possible to have a lone discus, but i wouldn't reccomend it - if you do discus - do them the right way - otherwise it's going to look like a black football the entire time you have it.