can anyone help me rehome my goldfish!!???

Jul 7, 2008
i desperately need help in finding a new pond/s for my hundreds of goldfish! about 2 years ago i put 80 24 cent goldfish in my unmaintained swimming pool. i was sleeping outside and thought they would reduce the mosquito population. i also thought that i would remain in this house for a very long time but my house mate is selling the place and moving back east and now she wants to drain the pool for the sale of the house and the goldfish will die if i can't find them a new home. there are hundreds of them now and they vary in length from, i'm guessing, about 1-7 inches.
anybody have any leads on who might be able to help?

emmanuelchavez

Superstar Fish
Feb 22, 2008
If I went to that house as a prospective buyer, I would so totally buy it just because of the goldfish in the pool!

Why were you sleeping outside?

Have you tried listing them on craigs list? You could offer people some free goldfish. Although, I'm sure some would go to some bad homes : /

How about offering them to some fish shops around town??

Jul 12, 2007
Where else?
Its going to be hard to find homes for all of them. You should try to offer them to different pet shops.

I don't want to offend you, but I don't want to lie. What you did was very irresponsible, yet i'm kinda surprised that there are more of them and they are thriving.

Last edited:

Lakea

Large Fish
Oct 14, 2006
Texas
Where are you even located? Not that I could even take that many fish, well actually I could, but that is beside the point. Anyway, I good place to try is posting free fish on craigslist lots of times there are people looking for fish to fill ponds and etc with, also feeder fish, yum yum. Good luck!

Mercury

Large Fish
Jun 11, 2008
Illinois
I would probably try to give away as many as possible.. Then have a goldfish vs. predatory fish deathmatch. Or perhaps you could grind them up into a ferilizer. Seriously.

MissFishy

Superstar Fish
Aug 10, 2006
Michigan
I would make some calls to all the local fish stores in the phone book (not the big chain stores). Offer the fish up for free and they will most likely be able to take some of them. They most likely will not pay for them but it will be a lot humaner than other options suggested here. As far as getting them out of the pool...buy a large fish net from a fish store (BIG one! with small holes) and just scope them into large tupperware containers filled with water from the pool. Then transport them to the fish stores.