Can a Flowerhorn/convict breed?

Nachost

Small Fish
Jun 20, 2012
I wanted to know if it was posible for a flowerhorn male to breed with a black convit female? The reason i ask is because the last two weeks my pair have been inseperable. And doing the mouth biting thing that ciclids do. Now she has bunch of eggs but i dont know if they would be able to breed and if they could would the babies be able to breed?

Feb 27, 2009
It would be almost impossible to determine if a 'Flowerhorn' and a Cryptoheros nigrofasciatus (black convict cichlid) could successfully breed.

The 'Flowerhorn' is a hybrid of unknown origins. Although there are many guesses as to its background, those that produced it have not released that information.

Unless the fish are of the same species, offspring of such a mating would most likely be sterile.

KcMopar

Superstar Fish
There is a small chance they will breed but not all that likely, you would have better luck with a Midas, Red Devil, or a Vieja if the Flowerhorn is not sterile. Most Flowerhorns are fertile so you have an advantage there as most hybrids are not. And as with any large cichlids your other inhabitants might end up dead if and when you get it to start the breeding process.

KcMopar

Superstar Fish
They do breed successfully! Its just not an easy thing to do. If it was you would see Flower-horn atrocities everywhere. Here is a Red Monkey Flower-horn/Convict hybrid.
Many types of cichlid fish are bred together to get different flower-horns by crossing them back to the parents. Take for instance the Green texas cichlid is commonly bred with a Mammon or King Kong Parrot to get the golden base flower-horn.
Dont under estimate fish and amphibians. They will morph sex types and jump genus types to survive. They were here before us and will be here after us too.

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2013
SE Ohio
I have just been given a breeding pair of the same kind KcMopar posted a pic of. At least the male is. The female I am told is a regular convict and all they ever did was have babies. Unfortunately the babies were never rescued but successful breeding was always frequent.

FishDad

Superstar Fish
Mar 4, 2012
Cleveland
Dont under estimate fish and amphibians. They will morph sex types and jump genus types to survive. They were here before us and will be here after us too.
"Life breaks free. Life expands to new territories. Painfully, perhaps even dangerously. But life finds a way.” - What movie is that from? Come on people!

Dec 9, 2014
I will breed with a Convict Cichlid. our offspring will be fertile we will dominate the freshwater and Saltwater Kingdom through our Saltwatr cousins the Convict Tang. Say good bye to the Tomato clown make way for my minions the ConvictHorns. We shall not rest until every last cherry barb has stripes and a kok!!!

lol