BumbleBee catfish?

May 18, 2004
New Jersey
Visit site
I have read some threads on this fish easily being mixed up with a bigger breed.
This is the best shot I have, since she's always on the move( I read females are bigger than males. I purchased two and this one is a lot bigger, almost looks pregnant. I had them for a year and a half.)

Thats my clown pleco to the left. I had him for about 3yrs.

The catfish has 3 whiskers on each side. Anyone have an idea on the correct type of fish?

May 18, 2004
New Jersey
Visit site
I dont know what the fish is, but I like your setup it looks real homey,nice photo!
Thanks for the compliment. I had the tank up, and running for 5 yrs. I lost some plants due to my lighting conditions, and busy schedule.

I am looking to start over soon.

Mine's looks similar to the one below, however they have 6 wiskers and not 4 as the one below.

I want to be sure, I have enough room for them. Currently in a 29 gallon tank with 4 black tetra, clown pleco, two loaches (forget their name), and 6 molly's.

Feb 5, 2009
Tweed Heads
I got a120L( 29g) too with 4 brislenoses, 4 swordtails 4 gouramis,4 Tiger barbs & 2 Silver Angels there all young fish so looks like I gotta step up to a 400L about 55g , we're metric down under..... I also have a 65L with some Tetras, platy's & Catty's!!

hari-goshi

Medium Fish
Jan 17, 2009
From your picture it looks like the south american. But you are very right about finding correct information on them. Its next to impossible. Ive read that the asians have 6 whiskers and then the picture they use for the profile has 4 ,or vice versa. Too many uneducated people taking shots in the dark. The species you have appears to be Microglanis iheringi , but I wouldnt swear to it. Try googling the latin name , and it should clear some of the crap results you get from websites trying to fill up there fish profile page.

May 18, 2004
New Jersey
Visit site
From your picture it looks like the south american. But you are very right about finding correct information on them. Its next to impossible. Ive read that the asians have 6 whiskers and then the picture they use for the profile has 4 ,or vice versa. Too many uneducated people taking shots in the dark. The species you have appears to be Microglanis iheringi , but I wouldnt swear to it. Try googling the latin name , and it should clear some of the crap results you get from websites trying to fill up there fish profile page.
Thank you very much for the helpful information. I will search under the latin name.