brush algae

Oct 22, 2002
Visit site
I really want to help here, I just don't feel like I know enough about this to offer any advice beyond doing frequent small water changes and restricting light.  Also I am assuming you have a heavily planted tank. If you don't, I would go and get a bunch of fast growing plants (stem plants usually). They help by using the excess nutrients that the algea would have used, and when it isn't there the algea will die back. I am trying to help, but I just haven't had to deal with a lot of algea and I am telling you stuff I have heard but don't have a lot of experience with.  

Maybe someone with more experience will come along and post better answers for all you people with algea questions. I feel like I am not doing a lot of good.

Jan

SegaDojo

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
www.intergate.ca
depending on how big of a tank you've got, or even if its as small as a 10g tank, you can add one or more SAE's to your tank.  However, if its a small tank, then the SAE is only a temporary solution cuz it will definitely outgrow that tank size.  I've had mine for about 4 months now and it still has room to grow.

Some questions you may ask yourself are:
why am I getting this algae growth anyways?
Am I over fertilizing?
under fertilizing?
do I have high phosphate levels?  should I add a phosphate resin?
too much light for my plants?
not enough light for my plants?
am I carbon limited?  if so should I add CO2 or reduce the lighting and fertilization?
are my low light plants getting too much light? or high light plants getting not enough?  (try moving low light plants like the anubias to a shaded area)

I wish I could give you a solid answer... it'll make things a lot easier, but the best advice I can give is to find a balance of light and fertilization.

But here are some sites you should check out...
http://www.cam.org/~tomlins/algae.htmlhttp://www.voicenet.com/~dietsch/algae.html

johnc

Small Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Visit site
im not quite sure, but i know that there are some shrimp, freshwater ghost shrimp i think, that will eat the algae...ive also read that rosy barbs will eat the algae, but then you have to remove them because they will start on your plants...same with mollies...other than that, cut back on the nutrients in your tank, the light, this all contributes..good luck

Oct 22, 2002
Visit site
Rosy barbs will suck down algea like spaghetti. I had some hair algea in my first planted tank, went and got two rosy barbs and introduced them into the tank (which at the time had no fish in it)  They tore around the tank and sucked down every piece of algea in about 2 hours.   They are beautiful fish, and I loved them, but when I started the bigger planted tank, and moved them into that, there was no algea.  And they ate my plants.  

So, If you wanted to get a pair, I would advise watching them very closely, and if they start eating your plants take them back to the fish store.  They will eat algea pellets, but the algea pellets don't stop them from eating the plants.

Jan