breeding

video5

Medium Fish
Feb 27, 2010
I had a post in the breeding sub-section, so I've redirected it to here...What is the best way to breed bettas? Like how do you know if the female and male are ready(per say)? I put my female in with my male and he just flared up and out and sort of, followed her around the tank...is that normal at all? thanks!!

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
I have a good set of vids on youtube back from when I was breeding my plakats. In one of them I even managed to catch the very moment that my pair started to mate, so you'll be able to tell their signs of when they are about to do it :)
Check out my channel:
YouTube - robotron5000's Channel
And start with the first Betta vids on the bottom of my vid list (the Plakat Breeding (introducing female))
Then check the second set of vids (the second Plakat Breeding set above)

Last edited:

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
Another member on this forum, Doomhed, has a lot of experience with commercially breeding Bettas and he can give you an excellent guide on how to do it :)
I followed his guide and my success you can see in my vids.

video5

Medium Fish
Feb 27, 2010
Thanks much!! I look forward to all of those fry;)....what would you say the minimum tank size for the fry would be?

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
the breeding tank should be 10 gallon minimum. (ignore the fact that i went with a 5.5)
the fry can stay in that tank (as you gradually add water to it to fill it up) up to a certain time. then they should be moved to a larger grow-out tank, preferably a 40 gallon or something. this all depends on how many fry you will have but generally Bettas make a lot so you should have a 10-29 breeding tank, a 40-50 grow-out tank for the females and a ton of 1+ gallon jars for the young males. Betta breeding is very demanding, make sure you're prepared before you do it..

video5

Medium Fish
Feb 27, 2010
Ok thanks, i was prepared to put my fry in a 2.5 gallon, how long after the fry are born can they be moved tank to tank?

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
moving them is a horrible idea when they are young. and if they stay in a tiny tank they will get stunted and will die. thats whats so tricky and why people recommend breeding in at least a 10 gallon, preferably larger: because the fry cannot be moved until they are maybe 3 months old and are juvenile bettas.

a 2.5 gal is not place for fry, sorry to crash the party :(

video5

Medium Fish
Feb 27, 2010
nah its all good, better that im educated and dont lose my entire batch! Thanks for the help though! I have a good place to get a 20 gallon but i actually need the money to buy it so....

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
yes for a short amount of time and depending on how many females you're going to have becuse those will be the ones staying in the tank.
as the fry grow you will be filling the tank up until its full. but you would have known that if you got the guide from Doom ;)