Brain Fart

madpad

Small Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Ok guys Im about to put water in the tank and begin my "Fishless Cycle" Since Im doing fishless I dont need to treat the tap water before I put it in. Is this correct? Or do I still treat the water and then add amonia? OR do I let the water sit for 24 hours in the tank and then start ?

scrimman

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
www.caprok.net
I'm just guessing here, but you might want to wait a bit before adding that ammonia.  
I know the reason you add ammonia is to feed the bacteria that are the cycle to get them going. If you've still got chlorine or chloramine in that water, it's still busy killing any/all bacteria it runs across.  Thats including the ones you want to set up.  
I don't know if the ammonia does anything to the chlorides, so I might be full of it.
Id say treat the water, or wait 24 hrs (Chlorine) or 72 hrs (Chloramine) to let the chlorides dissipate.
That sound right?

ryanp15

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Kentucky
Brain Fart is where you forget something. You know like when you go to say something and forget it. I don't know where they came up with the term I just know what it means.

Ryan ;D

R

ronrca

The chorline will disapate in 24 hours and choramine in 3-4 days I think! Nothing to worry about. Bacterica probably will not be present yet. That is why many people are disappointed with Cycle bacteria. They add it in too quicky and it dies because of chorline or lack of food.

Kristin

Medium Fish
Oct 22, 2002
cycle bacteria that comes in a bottle? waste of money! especially if you are doing a fishless cycle. i used that stuff when i first set up my tanks because it was part of this new tank kit i got, and it was useless. my fish still died and my ammonia and nitrites still hit highs no matter how much i used it.

R

ronrca

Of course the nh and no2 spiked. Bacteria needs time to find a place to culture. However, in my 90G, the spike did not last nearly as long as without. The trick is first adding ammonia until you get high readings, and then adding the bacteria. It takes a couple of days, then you will see the ammonia levels coming down very quickly. I prefer to add it otherwise it will take a lot longer for bacteria to culture from scratch. Of course since I now have 3 established tanks, I can take bacteria cultures from them.