Brackish Water and Plants

Oct 22, 2002
I just started keeping African Cichlids and am gradually increasing the salinity of my tank.  I have some amazon sword and a sprite planted in the aquarium.  Are these plants going to survive the salt?

ryanp15

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Kentucky
There shouldn't be any plants in a tank of african cichlids. They don't have plants in their natural habitats. I don't think they will do as good in brakish water either. HTH ;D

dattack

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
I think only a few plants  could survive a brackish environment although they don't thrive that much either.  Try Java fern, java moss, and hornwort for plant options.

fishboy

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Cincinnati, Ohio
[quote author=cowboydude link=board=brackish&num=995172395&start=0#1 date=07/15/01 at 15:19:27]
There shouldn't be any plants in a tank of african cichlids. They don't have plants in their natural habitats. I don't think they will do as good in brakish water either. HTH ;D
[/quote]

Yes, i dought any freshwater plants would live in brackish envoirment ;D

Oct 22, 2002
There are a lot of plants that can be used as long as the tank is kept at the lighter end of the brackish spectrum, and you give the plants time to adjust.  Java Fern, Asian Ambrulia, Anubias Nana, Jungle Vallisneria, and a Temple plant all grow fairly well in a tank that I keep at a salinity of about 1.005 :)

Oct 22, 2002
Go to tropica.com.  They have a really good list of about 25 species that can survive brackish conditions.  Onion plants work well too.  So does java moss.

I wouldn't keep Africans in brackish water.  Hard water yes, but not brackish.