Brack for this Brackfish question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Limi310

Superstar Fish
Nov 30, 2005
Charlotte, NC
We...ll, there are some that would probably be ok.....mollies, for example, seem to do fine in FW (although they seem prone to Ich). It would depend greatly on the type of fish we are talking about. Some go in between brackish and fresh, some live in brackish their whole lives, some live in brackish then go marine.
The species that tend to stay in brackish areas and those that migrate out to the ocean would, IMO, not be suitable for FW. If I was keeping a fish that I knew was considered a brackish fish, I wouldn't try to keep it in FW.
Fish tend to have longer healthier lives when given the proper conditions.

So your question is kind of broad and not easily answered (at least by me). People argue about it both ways. I am one of those who think "No they wouldn't be ok in a 100% tropical tank", which was what my first reaction was to your question. But I don't want to come off as a know-it-all sounding brackish snob...lol
I am sure Brack-man (and other brackish keepers) will get on this and give their 2 cents as well :D

Last edited:

Limi310

Superstar Fish
Nov 30, 2005
Charlotte, NC
There are FW puffers: Dwarf Puffers being one.

Figure 8's are brackish all their lives and Green Spotted Puffers are brackish but they require marine conditions when they are full grown.

www.thepufferlist.com has lots of puffer into as to which are FW and which are BW.

JNevaril

Large Fish
Jul 10, 2005
Lincoln, Nebraska
you can slowly convert a brackish puffer to a fully marine system...

it just takes time, and patience.

Think of it the same way when you bring home the puffers....many times you'll find them in fresh water, and you have to slowly accimilate (sp...) them to brackish water.

same deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.