black moors?

IDunnoWhy

Superstar Fish
Nov 16, 2006
Deerfield, WI
Most any coldwater non aggressive fish. White Cloud Mountain Minnows come to mind.

Dojo Loaches also prefer their water on the cool side.

Bare in mind that Moors are huge Bio-load producers, so choosing tankmates that won't add enormous amounts to the load is always best.

Speaking of which, how much tank volume are you working with? It would make giving suggestions a little easier.

Last edited:

IDunnoWhy

Superstar Fish
Nov 16, 2006
Deerfield, WI
sweetpickles7 said:
29gal.Thanks
Well the general rule of thumb is 20 gallons for the first goldie, and 10 gallons for each additional goldie, so in theory you have just about enough room for 2, but then you have no room for other fish.

I have a single Black Moor in one of my 29g tanks (You'd think he'd be lonely, but he seems to enjoy having all the space), I think I'm going to add a small school of Minnows and call it good. Possibly a Dojo, but I think that'll be pushing the limits a bit.

IDunnoWhy

Superstar Fish
Nov 16, 2006
Deerfield, WI
sweetpickles7 said:
ok.What would you think of bloodfin tetras in the tank.or would that be to full of a tank.Thanks!
If you only have 1 Black Moor, than having a school of other tetras should be OK (5-6 of them). I would do a little research on them first though, see how big they get (some tetra get large), see what temperatures they can handle (I've got Buenos Aires in my coldwater cray tank), and see what temperament they have (some can be fin nippers).

Note: Our profiles section here says Bloodfins can grow to 2.5" and can tolerate temps from 64-82 degrees, so if you keep your tank "room temperature" (no heater) your Bloodfins should be able to tolerate it, so long as the room doesn't get too cold (but it will be near the low end of their tolerance). I have a heater on my 29g Moor tank, it's set low though, around 70 degrees, I probably wouldn't need one, but the room he's in gets pretty cold at night.

Last edited:

Fuzz16

Superstar Fish
Oct 20, 2006
Wellsville, KS
goldfish are very very dirty....they dont have the ability to hold food in so it goes right through them pulling out nutirients they need. might as well have a permanent string of poop