Black Moors

VirgoWolf

Superstar Fish
Feb 16, 2006
Michigan
Can anyone tell me what black moors go for at your LFS? I haven't really checked since I have never planned on keeping goldies inside and these guys woulden't make it through a Michigan winter, but I saw them liveaquaria and they have them listed really high. I figured like $7ea. maybe?

Anyway, that's just curiosity, but I just got a couple with a tank I bought (30 or 32gal, have to check which, NICE setup with everything, extras, and tons more for $20, I coulden't resist, and my brother in law's tank sprung a leak, so I am giving my 29gal to replace it), so anyone who has any insight to share. I know the needs of these fish (no sharp objects, not using a net to move them, blah blah blah) but since I have never REALLY kept fancy goldies before, if you have any tips or comments that might help, feel free to list them! :)

I thought I would hate them, I'm not fond of the fat fish look and I really don't like the telescoping eye thing, but they are kinda cute, and they do have cute little personalities, I was planning on keeping them inside untill late spring, then putting them out in the pond untill early fall and then getting rid of them, but we'll see what happens, I think my mom will like them and end up wanting them LOL.

Also, they are believed to be a (m/f) pair, and judging by what I have read, they will spawn with large numbers, so what are the chances of this happening? I mean, having 2 isn't too bad, but I'm not sure I want 1000 of the little hammerheads! LOL

Feb 10, 2006
Bay Area, CA
Last time I bought the black moors they came to be around 4 dollars. Maybe the price has risen ever since, I don't know. The size was small (maybe around 3 inches).

When I bought these guys, I didn't know anything about fish so most of them died within a few hours. But it was always the black moors that died first. Cancel that, any fancy goldfish would die first. That's why I bought comets later on. But you're an experienced fish keeper, so never mind that last part.

I do think that black moors are cute. I'm kind of jealous because you're actually setting up a coldwater goldfish tank. Plus, when they get too big, you have pond that will do them justice. Nice.

VirgoWolf

Superstar Fish
Feb 16, 2006
Michigan
LOL Thanks guys..

Actually fighterfish, these guys are only in the 30 (or 32, still haven't measured it) untill I can move my EBJD back in with the oscars, then they are going into the 70gal and Jessica (FishGeek) is sending me a couple Koi to go in with them, they'll be there till Spring, then it's out to one of the ponds, probably the small pond for the moors, I don't want to chase them around 5,000 gals in the fall, 100gals or so isn't so bad LOL!