Black Moor Questions

IDunnoWhy

Superstar Fish
Nov 16, 2006
Deerfield, WI
Hi everyone, as some of you know, I've had really lousy luck with assorted/various tank troubles as of late.

Well it would appear "Denny the Harbinger Of Death" is at it again....I have new troubles.

It would appear my Black Moor is developing Ich. Only a couple small "salt grains" right now, but I want to catch early.

My problem is, I normally treat just with heat (Maybe a lil salt sometimes) but with Black Moors being "cold water" fish, I don't think he can handle 86 degrees.

Does anyone have a tried and true method for treating this?

He is in one of my 29g (not in signature) he is the only inhabitant of the tank. And I'll be treating him in this tank (won't be moved to my Q-tank). I have Coppersafe already, but I haven't added it yet, will this be adequate treatment? (I've never had much luck with bottled Ich treatments).

If more info is needed, let me know.

Thanks Everyone :cool:

Seleya

Superstar Fish
Nov 22, 2004
Cape Cod, MA
Visit site
When I have dealt with ich with my own goldies, I have only used the salt and heat method and they have done fine.

Bring the tank up to 84 degrees and add 6 heaping tablespoons of salt to the tank. Whenever you perform a water change during the treatment process, replace the salt at a rate of one heaping tablespoon per 5 gallons. If you just top up the tank, don't add salt. I just turn up the heater and add the salt all at once but that freaks some people out. Your other option is to do both over the course of the next couple of days. I would not use over the counter medications, especially if you choose to use the heat/salt treatment. Once you see the last spot, keep treating for at least another week (I go two weeks past the last spot) With only one goldie in the tank, you should be fine for oxygen levels but I usually lower the water level a wee bit so the filter splashes and also add a bubble wand to help increase O2 levels.

Good luck!